jav32204

Credit Unions - Credit Report Update ?s

[ Edited ]
I recently was attempting to get a C/C with a local credit union and in order to get the C/C you have to at least have a savings account with them. I was denied opening a savings account because they said I was on a report stating I owed another bank money. This is the first I have heard of this and will be investigating it, but my question is do all credit unions require you to have a savings or checking account with them in order to get a C/C with them? If so do they all check this report? I was told I need to get a C/C asap to help boost my score and i dont know how long the investigation is going to take. PLEASE HELP!
Message Edited by jav32204 on 02-03-2010 11:42 AM
jav32204

Re: Credit Unions - Credit Report Update ?s

[ Edited ]
Ohh and another question, I just paid off a credit card in full on 1/29 and checked with the issuer to see when they report and they advised they reported on 2/1 to all 3 Credit Co. How long will it take for my credit report to be updated if they reported on 2/1?
Contributor
NinComPoop

jav32204 wrote:
I recently was attempting to get a C/C with a local credit union and in order to get the C/C you have to at least have a savings account with them. I was denied opening a savings account because they said I was on a report stating I owed another bank money. This is the first I have heard of this and will be investigating it, but my question is do all credit unions require you to have a savings or checking account with them in order to get a C/C with them? If so do they all check this report? I was told I need to get a C/C asap to help boost my score and i dont know how long the investigation is going to take. PLEASE HELP!

I haven't come across any CU's that do not require the opening of a savings account to establish membership In my experience.

Regular Contributor
LisaPA

[ Edited ]

jav32204 wrote:

The concept of a credit union is that it is owned in part by all its members. Therefore you are required to buy a "share" in the credit union to become a member and be eligible for their products. This is the savings, or in CU lingo, share account. It's usually only $5, so it's totally worth it.

They might be using Chex Systems to check your banking history.  You can get a free copy of your report here since you were denied, so you can see who is claiming you owe them money.

Edited to add: I think most banks use Chex Systems, so you will probably be denied everywhere if there is something negative on that report.

Message Edited by LisaPA on 02-03-2010 04:27 PM

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}