Did you mean: 

Credit Unions are the Worst

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Credit Unions are the Worst

@bustinloose82 wrote:

I hope everyone is doing well. 

I have been working my butt off trying to get my credit score up for the past few years. In the past six months, I've gone from 91% utilization to 45% utilization, paying off nearly $20,000 of debt in that short time. My experian and transunion scores have gone up quite a bit as my debt to credit ratio was the only negative thing on those reports. However, Equifax has barely budged (less than 30 points), and it's because of a hardship/situation I encountered with my credit union card in October 2014. That was the first time I've ever missed a payment (30 days late reported). I was in the hospital on the weekend that I normally would have paid that bill. As I was in the hospital, the bill completely slipped my mind. After talking to account services, I reached out to the president of the bank and explained the situation. In the end, he said that there was nothing they could do and that the dispute would have to go through the credit card management group (3rd party). The 3rd party said that its in the credit union's court and that there was nothing they could do about it. Of course, I changed this account and all others to automatic payments for the future, but this has been so hard. 

I hate going to my Equifax account and seeing negative information from October 2014 for something that was a complete oversight. 

Any creditor that pulls EQ declines me for credit. 

As soon as I pay down my consolidation loan with this credit union, I'm looking elsewhere.

Has anyone else had any issues with credit unions or have any recommendations for my situation?

Your credit union did what every other bank or credit union would have done.

It sucks but don't blame it on them; it's the nature of the beast.

Send verification letters to the bureaus until it falls off.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 21 of 23
bustinloose82
New Contributor

@Gmood1 wrote:
Here's a list of banks and Credit Unions that soft pull for membership when you're ready to move on.
http://www.hustlermoneyblog.com/bank-account-checking-savings-soft-pull-or-hard-pull/

Thank you! This is awesome!

Starting EQ: 601 | EXP: 623 | TU: 637 (2/17)
Update 4/18/20: Current EQ: 760 | EXP: 708 | TU: 724

Goal EQ: 750 | EXP: 750 | TU: 750 (12/17)
Credit Card Debt Free Goal: March 2018

*NEW* Chase Sapphire Preferred $0 ($17,600) 4/18/20 | Chase Freedom Unlimited $0 ($5,500) | Chase Slate $0 ($2,100) | PNC Visa $11,100 ($12,500) | Citi Costco $0 ($5,500) | Citi Simplicity $0 ($2,700) | Discover It $0 ($8,000) | Barclay Card NFL Extra Points $0 ($12,000) | Marvel Mastercard $0 ($6,000) | Nordstrom Visa $0 ($17,000) | American Express Every Day $0 ($3,000) | Bayport Credit Union $6,876 ($7,500) | American Express Delta $700 ($12,000) | Macy's $601 ($5,000) | JC Penney $0 ($3,500) | Synchrony Amazon $2,728.40 ($6,500)
Message 22 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Human beings sometimes just have a hard time with misplaced reasoning...it's fascinating

Ppl will blame a host of problems/issues on one incident ( or person) that are WAY, way unrelated or at best part of a string of things but if ONE thing can be singled out that isn't MY fault...it makes ppl feel better.

My daughter is gay because her Dad, my Ex let her watch baseball...had it only been a cooking show I'd have grandchildren right now😋

All jokes aside

OP you gotta let it go....a few posts back you were saying "but I have the doctor's note" c'mon now

It happened, the 🏇 is dead leave it be

In fairness, 30 day lates are VERY difficult to get and that's why institutions react the way they do

Think about it company request a minimum payment 25 days from billing say on April 20th
Again the Due Date is April 20th, which is billed sometime in March...it doesn't become 30 days until a month AFTER it was due

Very difficult to do....Yes one can overlook the Due Date but 30 additional days have to pass

If one has an emergency meeting etc and misses the April 20th Due Date that's one thing but they'd also have to be laid up an additional 30 days to be dinged for a 30 day

98.2% of card holders avoid the 30 day that's why the remaining 1.8% look so bad

*As for a single 2014 late being a HUGE deal regarding current denials ... again misplaced grasping for a scapegoat that isn't real

Btw CUs in general are awesome

Human beings just want any and everything to bend to their whims ...no offense I get it but at some point we gotta say MY BAD

Note or no note
The incident happened
= Not the CUs fault
= Reporting it accurately is simply telling the truth

Why would telling the truth has it happened make something or someone the WORST...

Like a priest not willing to change a Catholic school girl's tardiness to untardy because she REALLY prefers it go her way truth be darn

That darn priest is as bad as a CU😂😂😂

Gotta laugh at yourself time to time and realize it ain't that deep
Message 23 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.