Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Unions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Unions

What makes credit unions able to offer such low APRs and high CL?  I have two 5k cards and one 7k card; DCU just approved me for a 9K card.  I am curious as to the explanation.  (Also, I have read here that people can get auto and mortgage loans fairly easy from them).

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
gibeon
Established Contributor

Re: Credit Unions

Credit Unions are nonprofit/tax-exempt and don't have private ownership (stock). Since they don't have to show a profit, they just have to make the money they need to run the business. Also, many will pay out dividends to members at set intervals.

I don't know if they are easier for loans, but they are usually MUCH better for interest rates in loans.
23 Open Bank Cards / 7 Open Store Cards / TOO many inquires / Mid/High 600's
Message 2 of 10
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

Exactly. They answer to membership only. They were designed to help out members so rates are generally lower as they aren't out to make a profit specifically a large profit. They need to cover expenses and loses while building a steady portfolio.

I think they are not for profit, not non profit.

Non profit they Can't make money. Credit unions need to maintain some capital to increase their portfolio. They just make it a nickel at a time rather than $10 at a time that traditional banks would go for.
If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Unions almost always beat out banks.  I have nearly $55,000 in credit from one credit union.  They have never told me no.  

Message 4 of 10
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Credit Unions almost always beat out banks.  I have nearly $55,000 in credit from one credit union.  They have never told me no.  

Almost being the operative word.  My one and only experience with a credit union was as (if not more) unpleasant than any big bank I've encocuntered.  I was a breech baby, so my experiences are usually different.Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have done all but one loan through my Credit Union and I love them.  Ours is relatively small compared to those like NFCU...I've been to the NFCU Headquarters and my CU office would fit into the NFCU main office multiple times over.  

Anyways...like others have said, CUs are more able to cater to their members in comparison to big banks who are solely worried about the bottom line.

The loan officers at my CU have always seemed more willing to give helpful advice than I feel I would get through say PNC.  Although CUs still have to meet certain criteria, there is defnitely a more "family" feel if you will.  I feel like if I go to them (and when I have gone to them in the past) we can always work something out...this has been through good and not so good credit times.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

No stock holders, just stakeholders like you and me. My fav little local CU will go as far as to match most terms of firm offers. As a member of 20+credit unions and one wonderful little local bank (open 7 days a week and a free gift when you open an account) Never Never Never will a TBTF bank hold a nickel of my money. They are more than welcome to give me some swell rewards on my credit card purchases tho Smiley LOL

Message 7 of 10
baller4life
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

No stock holders, just stakeholders like you and me. My fav little local CU will go as far as to match most terms of firm offers. As a member of 20+credit unions and one wonderful little local bank (open 7 days a week and a free gift when you open an account) Never Never Never will a TBTF bank hold a nickel of my money. They are more than welcome to give me some swell rewards on my credit card purchases tho Smiley LOL

+100 I just hate I found CUs so late in life! CUs now hold all my accounts accept my emergency savings which is at Ally Bank and my investment account which is at Vanguard.

Message 8 of 10
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

What makes credit unions able to offer such low APRs and high CL?

Don't assume that they all do.  There are many credit unions and they vary just creditors that are not CU's vary.

@Anonymous wrote:

Also, I have read here that people can get auto and mortgage loans fairly easy from them.

Again, don't assume that all CU's are identical.  Try reading some of the PenFed threads, for example.

@Anonymous wrote:

Credit Unions almost always beat out banks. 

There are pros and cons just as with any set of decisions.  I find both CU's and other creditors to be beneficial to me.

Message 9 of 10
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@takeshi74 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

What makes credit unions able to offer such low APRs and high CL?

Don't assume that they all do.  There are many credit unions and they vary just creditors that are not CU's vary.

@Anonymous wrote:

Also, I have read here that people can get auto and mortgage loans fairly easy from them.

Again, don't assume that all CU's are identical.  Try reading some of the PenFed threads, for example.

@Anonymous wrote:

Credit Unions almost always beat out banks. 

There are pros and cons just as with any set of decisions.  I find both CU's and other creditors to be beneficial to me.

Agreed.  My CU is on the stingy side with my CL, since my CU Visa has my lowest CL.   At one point, they offered the lowest purchase APR, but now my AMEX BCE beats it easily.  However, I usually get very good BT offers.   I'm hoping my CL will grow without me taking an HP to do so.

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.