Did you mean: 

Credit Unions

tag
nicemann
Established Contributor

Re: Credit Unions

Badcreditguy wrote:
I wasnt in the Navy so that rules me out for the NFCU Smiley Sad

You don't have to.  Below is the list of ways to qualify.  I am sure most people fall into one of these.

Eligibility Checklist

Navy Federal's Field of Membership is determined by the National Credit Union Administration (NCUA). If you are in any of these categories, you are eligible to join.

• All Department of the Navy (DON) Personnel—regardless of location or rank, including:
    • Active duty Navy and Marine Corps
    • Reservist, regardless of drilling status
    • Civilian employees
  • Contractors assigned to DON sites afloat or ashore
  • Officer Candidate programs, NROTC, U.S. Naval Academy, U.S. Coast Guard Academy, U.S. Merchant Marine Academy
  • U.S. Government—Military and civilian personnel employed by the U.S. Government assigned to, stationed at or working at a Navy installation, afloat or ashore
  • Retired—from any of the categories listed above
  • Family—including:
    • Grandparents
    • Parents
    • Spouse
    • Siblings
    • Children (includes adopted, foster and stepchildren)
    • Grandchildren
    • Household Members

Once your family members have joined, they can extend the membership opportunity to their family members, too.

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

nicemann wrote:

Badcreditguy wrote:

You don't have to.  Below is the list of ways to qualify.  I am sure most people fall into one of these.

Eligibility Checklist

Navy Federal's Field of Membership is determined by the National Credit Union Administration (NCUA). If you are in any of these categories, you are eligible to join.

• All Department of the Navy (DON) Personnel—regardless of location or rank, including:
    • Civilian employees
  • Officer Candidate programs, NROTC, U.S. Naval Academy, U.S. Coast Guard Academy, U.S. Merchant Marine Academy
  • U.S. Government—Military and civilian personnel employed by the U.S. Government assigned to, stationed at or working at a Navy installation, afloat or ashore
  • Family—including:
    • Grandparents
    • Parents
    • Spouse
    • Siblings
    • Grandchildren
    • Household Members

Once your family members have joined, they can extend the membership opportunity to their family members, too.

Quick question about this. My boyfriend was in the merchant marines when he was younger (was in for like a year in CA) Would he still qualify and would he have to supply documentation to prove this. His parents might have some paper work but i seriously doubt he still has all that stuff (Cute photos of him in uniform and aboard ship thoughSmiley Wink

Message Edited by laila08 on 03-15-2008 11:41 PM
Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

There are time limits-

laila08 wrote:

nicemann wrote:

Badcreditguy wrote:

Eligibility Checklist

• Civilian employees
  • Family—including:
    • Grandparents
    • Parents
    • Spouse
    • Siblings
    • Grandchildren
    • Household Members

Quick question about this. My boyfriend was in the merchant marines when he was younger (was in for like a year in CA) Would he still qualify and would he have to supply documentation to prove this. His parents might have some paper work but i seriously doubt he still has all that stuff (Cute photos of him in uniform and aboard ship thoughSmiley Wink

Message Edited by laila08 on 03-15-2008 11:41 PM

Message 13 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

nicemann wrote:
Wow didn't know they did one for a savings account.  I had a chexsystems issue about 3 years ago and had major problems opening up a checking account.  I did a lot of research on google and found banks they do not use their system.  I joined Compass bank with no problems because they did not run that check.

Glad to have that finally off and I could get with with BoA for the last year.

I actually have had BoA for almost 4 years, and they are great! I recently opened a checking acct with Compass because my boyfriend has one, and he wants us to get joints when we get married. They pulled a hard inquiry on my CR... don't know if they go through Chexsystems, but nonetheless, I had an inquiry from them on my CR that dropped it a few points (like 3-4 avg. across the board), and I didn't even apply for credit, just a checking account!
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.