Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Unions

tag
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit Unions

So do you all have a credit union you use to pay your mortgage, a different one for utilities, etc etc? 

I'm just trying to understand the utility of having multiple accounts. 

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 21 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pipeguy wrote:

DCU, Congressional FCU and 40 years with PenFed which I no longer use for anything but a second mortgage (I'll save you the long story). If I had to pick just one it would be DCU.

How did you become a member of Congressional FCU?

Message 22 of 81
core
Valued Contributor

@grillandwinemaster wrote:

So do you all have a credit union you use to pay your mortgage, a different one for utilities, etc etc? 

I can't speak for anyone else of course, but I only keep any real cash in one CU out of all of mine.  The rest are left with account minimums.  It goes something like this for me:

• Consumers CU keeps the cash because they pay 4.59% APY on up to $20k.  Also the 3% card is good for Walmart/Target
  • Alliant for the HP-free installment loans for FICO purposes
  • Penfed as an ACH hub
  • Fort Knox only for the 5% gas card including in-store purchases
  • DCU for the score
  • CU #6 because they instantly credit mobile deposits of money orders without complaint
  • CU #7 (local) makes it easy to quickly open free business checking accounts with no fuss.  Also free ATM cash advances which is handy for buying used cars and things where you have to have lots of paper cash at short notice.
  • NASA because they are jerks but I didn't know it before I took the hard pull
Message 23 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

Altura penfed kinecta. I do not have credit accts with any of them right now.
Message 24 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just two for now... local one that is my hub, and PenFed for gas card.

Kinda thinking about UNFCU in the future for a chip+pin card but I'm fairly certain any more CU's would deny me for now due to too many new accounts, and I don't want to incur the wrath of Barclays.

Message 25 of 81
Gmood1
Super Contributor

@grillandwinemaster wrote:

I use Penfed for auto loans and CC, Xcel for their rewards checking, Kinetic was my first CU with local branches, NavyFed for CC and has a local branch, Alliant for secure share loan and savings(daughter's first car fund), NASA  for CC and savings(daughter's first car fund). SDFCU is the only one I haven't utilized for anything.

Message 26 of 81
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@pipeguy wrote:

DCU, Congressional FCU and 40 years with PenFed which I no longer use for anything but a second mortgage (I'll save you the long story). If I had to pick just one it would be DCU.

How did you become a member of Congressional FCU?

Lots of ways to join http://www.congressionalfcu.org/join/ for a list of eligible organazations.

I happen to work of Capitol Hill and its the "local" CU. Over all a decent smaller CU, with decent rates (Credit Cards, loans, etc) but their web site - including functions - needs a major update and I tend to use the web site rather than go to a branch. I do like the no fee instant "credit card loan" (cash advance) feature which is similar to DCU's. I don't carry much cash as a rule and when traveling, which I do a bunch, its a great function to get $500 from a free ATM on the road (I use this all the time with both DCU and CFCU). CFCU does not require direct deposit of your paycheck for posted rates I don't believe, but I don't have any loans with them, just small checking/savings and a Visa.

DCU is my primary CU - CFCU is my "back up".  

Message 27 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

I belong to four and plan to join and do business with two others when I leave the garden next year. I love credit unions. Heart

PenFed - Rewards, Promise, PLOC

NASAFCU - Rewards. Savings

RBFCU

SDFCU

Message 28 of 81
baller4life
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I belong to four and plan to join and do business with two others when I leave the garden next year. I love credit unions. Heart

RBFCU

SDFCU

I love them too neighbor. I do all my banking with credit unions. Only use banks for rewards cards. That's it.

PS. And whomever is doing a rain dance here in Texas needs to CUT IT OUT!!! Smiley Mad

Message 29 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

@baller4life wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

RBFCU

SDFCU

I love them too neighbor. I do all my banking with credit unions. Only use banks for rewards cards. That's it.

PS. And whomever is doing a rain dance here in Texas needs to CUT IT OUT!!! Smiley Mad

Yes, they do!

Message 30 of 81
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.