Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Utilization Percentages

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Utilization Percentages

There are several "risk models" from data providers that use payment patterns.    Risk of bankrupcy, risk of becoming 30 60 90 late etc.  If you go to any CRA site such as Transunion or data providers like ARS (used by USBank) and look at their products you can see the risk info that they sell.    Who knows who is using it.   

You have a great score, and are avoiding interest, and are clearly very finacially responsible.   That should make you feel great.   

I think Fico has come a long way, and I like the changes they have implemented so far.   I am curious to see what the future holds!   

Message 21 of 23
CreditPhoenix
Established Member

Hi NRB525,

I financed a car and paid it off early.  All payments were on time.  I have a mortgage and all payments are on time.  And then there's over 20 years in credit history.  And yet, 760.  Whatever.  The system is stupid.  

People need to stop thinking in terms of, "well gee, this is how they score", and think more along the lines of, "who's the most credit worthy?"  People who make all their payments on time and always have are the most credit worthy.  Who would you rather lend to?  Think in terms of your own money and the answer becomes pretty obvious.

Message 22 of 23
bada_bing
Frequent Contributor

@CreditPhoenix wrote:

Hi NRB525,

I financed a car and paid it off early.  All payments were on time.  I have a mortgage and all payments are on time.  And then there's over 20 years in credit history.  And yet, 760.  Whatever.  The system is stupid.  

People need to stop thinking in terms of, "well gee, this is how they score", and think more along the lines of, "who's the most credit worthy?"  People who make all their payments on time and always have are the most credit worthy.  Who would you rather lend to?  Think in terms of your own money and the answer becomes pretty obvious.

Your overthinking this.The first point is that a FICO score is a lot like schroedinger's cat, what it's

state is only matters when someone looks at it. You can control exactly how your utilization looks

at the time a HP is made, at all other times it is meaningless. My scores have been frozen for almost

two years, which means the lid on my FICO cat's box has been nailed shut for that time. I know my

score, but nobody new has been allowed to look at it, so it doesn't matter to the world at large.

The next point is that payment history very much matters, but credit issuers have decided that

the major delineator between "good" and "not good" is thirty days late. Get a 30 day late on your report

and you'll see exactly how positively your PIF history was viewed. Your beef seems to be the exact point

where creditors start making major demerits. They have decided that 30 days overdue is the point. The grey

area between always PIF and just never 30 days late is where a lot of profit is harvested by issuers. You

can't expect much scoring reductions be placed on a major source of profit.

The last point is that like any objective measurement of a social system, FICO was intended to not have

any influence on the subject's behavior that are being measured. FICO score would be far more perfectly

predictive of future behavior if we, the subjects being measured, were unaware and unifluenced by it. .A

competing pressure is that we, they subjects being measured, demand visibility and thus diminsh the

effectiveness of the measurement. If you want FICO to be the best reflection of your risk as a borrower, then

lobby for it to become secret and inaccessable to the account holders. If you allow the measured population

to see their own measurements, it will influence their behavior somewhat. Like it is with you now. Like it has

with me in a more extreme way.

Some parts of the FICO scoring algorythm are arbitrary, but they are well enough understood that if you

wish to have any particular score as goal, the way to get there is understood. Above score 760 though, the

real world value of the score is almost nothing. If you want an 850 FICO8, the community here can guide you.

I'd guess it would take you 3-4 years from where you are at now and the path will be very restrictive. Once you

get there though, there is nothing special waiting for you.

I would get a 3rd card though. For arbitrary reasons, 3 cards is a scoring sweet spot and the management costs of maintaining

a 3rd account can be almost nothing. You are free to think that 3 is dumb and 2 cards should be the sweet spot. I am

free to feel that 5 personal and one business card should be the perfection criteria. Neither matters as FICO is set to

+ 850 FICO8 since 2015, Thanks MyFICO - 5+ years since last HP
Message 23 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.