cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Utilization Rate on 0% interest for 15months card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Utilization Rate on 0% interest for 15months card?

Hello,

I have an AMEX card with $8,000 credit limit and a promo that includes 0% interest for the first 15 months. I pay the card off each month on time, but I'm wondering how will this effect my Credit utilization rate? Since I have 0%, I may keep the balance at $4,000 while still making the minimum payments each month.

thanks

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit Utilization Rate on 0% interest for 15months card?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

I have an AMEX card with $8,000 credit limit and a promo that includes 0% interest for the first 15 months. I pay the card off each month on time, but I'm wondering how will this effect my Credit utilization rate? Since I have 0%, I may keep the balance at $4,000 while still making the minimum payments each month.

thanks

what's your total CL's on all cards or what will your util be with a 4k bal ????

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, it's the only american credit card that I have. I just moved to the United States so I don't have much credit history.

Message 3 of 7
TheFate
Established Contributor

Why keep the balance at 4k? That 50% of UTL

Charge 1600-2000 and make above the min payment on it, min payments are only for tuff times not long term

Message 4 of 7
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello, it's the only american credit card that I have. I just moved to the United States so I don't have much credit history.

If you go from 0% to 50% util  you score will go down ( how much i don't know ). It's best to keep your util between 1 - 9%

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 5 of 7
lonelyisland
Frequent Contributor

Are you planning to get any other new credit cards during this time frame?

Are you planning to try for the 3X CLI in 61 days?

If not, I dont think there is a problem leaving it there.

Although, if you have not transferred the balance already, I would try and get my 3X CLI first on day 61. 

Then 4K might not make as large a dent in your credit limit. 

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok thanks guys, I'm hoping to get a home loan in 12 months time, that's all. Not looking to get any cards at the moment.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.