Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit card Debt assistance

tag
YoungJay18
Contributor

Credit card Debt assistance

I've recently picked up a rather substantial debt of $2021.50 and its hurt my credit pretty bad to the point that right now I don't know what to do I've tried applying to loans but most of them say I have to many inquiries while some say my credit score to low I honestly don't know what to do at this point I really need help I would like to have this paid off ASAP to go back on track with my life please any help would be greatly appreciated  

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
lithium78
Established Contributor

Re: Credit card Debt assistance

Your best option is probably to contact your credit card company and explain your situation. Maybe they will agree to a temporary interest rate reduction or work out a payment plan for financial hardship. Whatever you do, don't stop making at least minimum payments or it will mess things up even worse.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 25
ObeyJohnny12
Established Contributor

@lithium78 wrote:
Your best option is probably to contact your credit card company and explain your situation. Maybe they will agree to a temporary interest rate reduction or work out a payment plan for financial hardship. Whatever you do, don't stop making at least minimum payments or it will mess things up even worse.

+1 Def. call the company and explain your situation.

Also stop using your cards until you manage to work out a plan to pay it down.

You don't want to get into more debt.

Wells Fargo Secured - 7k
Opensky - 5k
Rebuilding One Day At A Time.
Message 3 of 25
YoungJay18
Contributor

alright thanks guys would there be a good place i could also apply for a loan so i can fully pay it off and slowly increase my credit as i make the payments on the loan

Message 4 of 25
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I assume you are 18?  So $2,000 can seem like a mountain at that age... but look at it this way, if you have the feeling that you reflect in your text that this $2000 is stalling your life... The good news is that no matter how bad this effects you right now and how long it takes to fix it, if you remember how this made you feel and it is what helps you not do it later on when you might be talking about $20,000 instead of $2,000 you are getting the bad side of credit out of the way now!! (UGH, I sound like such a mother, or the person who didn't have those feelings at 18 when I cleared $10,000 in debt and by age 20 had at least 15-20 credit cards and was $86,000 in debt!! I did turn i taround after my BK but only for a couple years and then I seemed to forget that feeling of fresh start and doing it better this time)

So lets see what we can do about this $2,000.... What credit card company is this with and what is limit and interest rate?

Message 5 of 25
YoungJay18
Contributor

im 19 and it is a capital one journy credit card the limit is 750 and the APR is 19.8%

Message 6 of 25
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

And you owe all $2k and change on this card?
When is the last time you paid on it?
It is closed now right?
Any offers of settlement from them?
Do you have a lump sum on hand to try to settle or a certain amount each month you can dedicate to this if they will work with you?
Message 7 of 25
YoungJay18
Contributor

well to be honest i owe 861 on this the others are personal which i have to pay as well this started of in november of 2012

Message 8 of 25
Coldness
Contributor

Ouch, over limit at 19. 

I hate to suggest it, but, being 19, is there any way some family can help? You won't get approved for a settlement loan most likey. Borrowing 2k from a parent and making payments to them would be a much safer bet. 

Message 9 of 25
YoungJay18
Contributor

i wish but my parents or family in genral aint the whole nice caring kind ive looked into this so many times and sadly it aint possible 

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.