Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit card advice please

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit card advice please

Hi everyone, I'm new here.  Just looking for some advice.  I'll try to keep it short.  I'm 28 years old, make about 30k a year.  I decided to get more financially responsible this year and wanted my credit cards paid off.  I basically did a spending fast and it felt great.  I'm almost there but still owe about 2k.  

Here are the cards I have and the credit limits:

Chase Freedom $5,000

Captial One QS $10,750

Discover it $11,500

BOA World Points Rewards $1,500

I've had the BOA card since 2007, it was my first card.  Never got a CLI and always had it close to maxed out.  It has a $59 annual fee due in the spring.  i plan to cancel this card next spring.  I figure it won't hurt my credit much.

The Chase card I've had since 2009 and have never received a CLI.  I had it almost always close to maxed out.  I ended up getting the Discover card at the beggining of the year and did a 5k balance transfer with 0% for 18 months.  Now I just use the Chase card for gas (5% back) and pay it off every month.

The Capital One card I just got 3 months ago and use it for everyday purchases and pay it off at the end of the month.  I recently got a $750 CLI and plan to try every 3 months for a CLI. Also got a $4,000 CLI on the Discover card in July.  

My question is, what else can I do to increase my credit score? I think it's around 750+ right now judging by the scores my cards give me and Credit Karma but I want to be 800+.  Should I call Chase and try to get a CLI with a soft pull?  I read it's a hard pull by hitting the button online... Should I wait until the Discover card is paid off before requesting another CLI?  Is there any other cards I should apply for or is that enough for now?  Any advice would be appreciated.  

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Credit card advice please

Chase is always an HP. Discover is probably a better candidate for an SP CLI. Only apply for more cards if you think you'll actually need/use them. Your scores are already really good if those are true FICOs. Honestly at this point you don't really need higher scores as you're already at the highest "tier" when it comes to credit. But if you really want to, well, make sure your reports are clean, payments on time, UTIL is low (under 10%) and have a good mix of credit.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

jw but why do you need better than a 750? anything over that is a waste of time to worry about as a 720+ will get you the best rates possible in almost any lending situation. don't drive yourself crazy over the "score". once i hit 720 i really don't care at that point.
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

BoA is also almost always a hard pull for CLI (there are a few people who got SP but they seem to be the exceptions).  Instead of closing it, have you tried PC'ing it to a no AF card like the Cash or Travel Rewards?  Heck even the Better Balance Rewards would be nice (especially if you bank with them; extra $120 back each year).

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do not bank with BOA, which may be a reason they seem to hate me.  So I should maybe apply for another BOA card and PC my $1,500 limit?  My FICO score is 776 according to the Discover website.  Transunion is 754 and Equifax 756 through Credit Karma.  I know my score is good enough to get the best rates but I just want it to be better.  I just wonder if a CLI is worth the HP from Chase.  I think I'll ask for another CLI from Discover once I get that 2k paid off since that will be a soft pull and continure to ask for CLI's from Capital One.   

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

discover's score is a FICO from TU.
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why would you need another BoA if you can PC?  There are probably better cards out there for you.  Since you already have QS for general spend, you could look into either travel rewards points or high bonus category cash back cards.  People seem to like CSP and since you have freedom already you could transfer your points over to use in the UR portal.  For category spending that really depends on your own spending habits; I don't spend too much on gas/groceries which makes Sallie Mae perfect for me (5% for first $250 spent monthly for gas and same for groceries).

EDIT: CK gives FAKO scores, which are good to check what range you're in but aren't real FICO scores. Discover's TU is a real FICO, and in your case it's higher than the FAKO so even better!

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good to know the Discover score is FICO.  Sorry, new to these acronyms.  PC is a product change?  I'd have to call and request this?  Will there be a HP?  I've never done a PC...  I guess I'll have to compare BOA's other cards.  I try to use the changing categories with the Freedom card but I wonder if the CSP would be a better option.  I really don't spend much on gas though.  

Message 8 of 10
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

you Re: Credit card advice please

HEllo. It seems like you have wplenty of credit cards. Instead of closing your account with the one card with the annual payment, try to either switch to another card by the same company that has no annual payment or call the company and tell them that their annual payment is forcing you to close the account and see if they wiear ll waive it for a year to keep you.

You have a good credit score and I would think small things like number of hard pull, length of time having accounts, and past lates are the only real things between you and a higher score. I'm not sure how much getting more credit would help. You also should consider weighing in your head the temptation of having more credit vs. a few  more points in your score. I know in my case having more credit for me makes it more tempting to spend money I don't have and you don't want your self discipline and hard work to backfire due to temptation from more and more credit being extended to you.

You have a geat credit score. Why not focus your energy and time on some other pursuit such as money, love, etc...  

just my 2 cents

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: you Re: Credit card advice please

The CSP has an annual fee so i don't think I'm interested.  I kind of like the 5% I get with the Freedom card, I may just stay with it and hope they increase my limit or maybe take a HP down the road for a CLI.  I just can't decide if I should PC my BOA card to the Cash or Travel card.  I really don't have a "travel" type of card, but I believe the Cap One card has no FTFs.  I don't really travel much, although I'm planning my first trip to Europe next year and would like to spend more on traveling in the future.

I'm really over the whole being in debt thing.  I always spent more than I should during college because I felt I would easily pay it all off after college which isn't exactly how it worked out.  Once I get this last 2k paid off, I will never carry balances again unless it's 0%.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.