Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit card application

tag
Please_Explain

Re: Credit card application

@Anonymous wrote:

@Please_Explain wrote:
It was a discover card. myFICO purchase gave me 693, with the cc company giving me 643. Not great by any means, but probably on the border of being approved or not. My problem is not being denied. I don't really need the card anyway. It is the fact I paid for this service and it wasn't the same as what they give to others. It makes me feel like its a waste.

Why did you choose to apply for a discover card if you don't really need it or seem to care for one?

Convenience. My primary card doesn't have a very large credit limit, and it makes vacations a little rough having to carry cash. And Discover in particular because my current cc doesn't have any type of cash back rewards and such....
Message 21 of 46
Please_Explain

In the end, all this still brings me to my original point that this score is worthless as a paid service because creditors do their own thing anyway. Yes it's still good to know ballpark, but any number of free services can do that for you.
Message 22 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Please_Explain wrote:
In the end, all this still brings me to my original point that this score is worthless as a paid service because creditors do their own thing anyway. Yes it's still good to know ballpark, but any number of free services can do that for you. And Discover in particular because my current cc doesn't have any type of cash back rewards and such....

I hate to say it but you are using myfico score as a scapegoat. Had you taken the time to read about how conservative Discover is you would have saved yourself an inquiry and applied for a credit card with a bank that is BK friendly. This is a great community with people willing to share their experiences and provide advice free of charge. With that said Barclays is BK friendly and you stand a chance of being approved. I recommend this card for you  https://www.barclaycardus.com/apply/Landing.action?campaignId=1583&cellNumber=6&referrerid=IMRPPCBR

Message 23 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@android01 wrote:

Thanks!  A lot of what you mentioned are the reasons for your denial regardless of your score, although it explains the difference in your scores if they use an internal "enhancement".   Discover, I've read is not BK friendly, doesn't like a lot of recent inquiries, or high utilization on existing accounts.  They don't like to see recent 30, 60 or 90 day lates - which may come under the "too few accounts paid as agreed statement".  How many credit accounts do you have, and what is the history on them?  What is your average age of accounts?  

They approved me with 7 or 8 inquiries, so YMMV. But then again, I have nothing else bad on my reports except too many inquiries.

Message 24 of 46
Please_Explain

@Anonymous wrote:

@Please_Explain wrote:
In the end, all this still brings me to my original point that this score is worthless as a paid service because creditors do their own thing anyway. Yes it's still good to know ballpark, but any number of free services can do that for you. And Discover in particular because my current cc doesn't have any type of cash back rewards and such....

I hate to say it but you are using myfico score as a scapegoat. Had you taken the time to read about how conservative Discover is you would have saved yourself an inquiry and applied for a credit card with a bank that is BK friendly. This is a great community with people willing to share their experiences and provide advice free of charge. With that said Barclays is BK friendly and you stand a chance of being approved. I recommend this card for you  https://www.barclaycardus.com/apply/Landing.action?campaignId=1583&cellNumber=6&referrerid=IMRPPCBR

I don't agree. For me to use FICO as a scapegoat, I'd have to be blaming them for getting denied. I'm not. I take full responsibility for my own situation. What I'm saying is the data they sell is not worth it. I paid to know my score that is not used by many/most if not all creditors. I do agree that I should have done more research and not spent the money on FICO in the first place. I was taken by the sales pitch of getting your score from the place creditors get it. Sure it's factored in there somewhere, but like I said, you can get a good guesstimate elsewhere.
Message 25 of 46
Please_Explain

I also agree that everyone here has been helpful and thank you for the link.
Message 26 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Please_Explain wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Please_Explain wrote:

I don't agree. For me to use FICO as a scapegoat, I'd have to be blaming them for getting denied. I'm not. I take full responsibility for my own situation. What I'm saying is the data they sell is not worth it. I paid to know my score that is not used by many/most if not all creditors. I do agree that I should have done more research and not spent the money on FICO in the first place. I was taken by the sales pitch of getting your score from the place creditors get it. Sure it's factored in there somewhere, but like I said, you can get a good guesstimate elsewhere.

Wait how come you didn't take advantage of the free fico score with 10 day trial of Score Watch? Smiley Indifferent

Message 27 of 46
Please_Explain

I did a little over a year ago to see where I was at the time. FICO's policy only allows free trials every two years, so like a good consumer, I paid for it.
Message 28 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Please_Explain wrote:
I did a little over a year ago to see where I was at the time. FICO's policy only allows free trials every two years, so like a good consumer, I paid for it.

Yea you can only get it free every 2 years. If you want to keep up with your fico scores I recommend to apply for membership with DCU to get the EQ fico score monthly free and apply for Walmart card to get the TU fico score monthly free. 

Message 29 of 46
RyVision
Valued Contributor

I fully understand how the OP feels. There are so many ways for a CCC to "use" the FICO score in their calculations it makes buying yours to know it yourself seem pointless (most of them do it, ESP AMEX). However, I also know FICO is their starting point 99% of the time. Knowing what else is in the report and how that lender sees things helps, that's where this forum comes in so handy.  That's why I've said before, there are FAKOs and there are FICO FAKOs (the latter being the best starting point).

I consider my FICO score (any of them) to only be the most accurate gauge to start with (verses FAKO scores), it really gives the best idea of where someone stands as far as credit in general. Combine that with all the other data a lender can look at and what you know about that lender and you get a better idea of what to expect. Throw in how "quirky" lenders are and it's really just a well planned luck of the draw, unless someone has a very low score with a lot of derogs or a very high score with a perfect, long history.

I still have a hard time understanding how people with COs, tons of lates, 50 inq's or BK's still showing get approved for much of anything. I found it hard to get approved for anything with one erroneous collection on my reports. All in all I find FICO worth the money if I'm going to apply, and FAKOs worth looking at as a possible indicator of what my FICO score MIGHT be doing.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 30 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.