cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit card balance increase = FICO Score increase?

tag
grc123
Established Member

Credit card balance increase = FICO Score increase?

I received a myFICO alert today saying that my FICO score went up.  It notes that my score went up due to an increase in the balance of one of my credit cards (which were previously all $0).  I would have thought that the increased balance would have had a reverse effect.  Can anyone shine some light on this for me?  Thank you!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
DI
Super Contributor

Re: Credit card balance increase = FICO Score increase?

@grc123 wrote:

I received a myFICO alert today saying that my FICO score went up.  It notes that my score went up due to an increase in the balance of one of my credit cards (which were previously all $0).  I would have thought that the increased balance would have had a reverse effect.  Can anyone shine some light on this for me?  Thank you!

You always want a small balance to report on at least one card. 

Message 2 of 4
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@grc123 wrote:

Sometimes you have to take the Score Watch alert "reasons" with a grain of salt. I've had them tell me that my score went up because of an inquiry. Well...no...that's not how FICO works.

Your score can go up for a lot of reasons...your accounts aged, etc. I think if you check your alert it tells you that the reason they give "may" be the reason. Often, it's not.

Message 3 of 4
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

FICO score also could have increased soley because formerly 0% UTIL became > 0% UTIL. Unless you are a High Achiever FICO does not like 0% UTIL.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.