Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit card cancelation

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit card cancelation

I was just wondering if I have a credit card and it has a balance on it and I decide to cancel the card. Can they still charge a monthly fee and interest on a closed account. I think they can for the interest part but not on the maint fee is what they call it. Would really like to know for sure on both parts. 

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: Credit card cancelation

Interest, yes.  Fee, not sure.

However, keep in mind that cards closed with balances usually report with maxed out utilization.  This is why it is not recommended to close a card with a balance.

Message 2 of 13
Anomalous
Senior Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

Interest, yes.  Fee, not sure.

However, keep in mind that cards closed with balances usually report with maxed out utilization.  This is why it is not recommended to close a card with a balance.

+1

Try to pay the card off before closing.

Keep both your credit and your body in top shape!

Message 3 of 13
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Your account agreement should spell out the conditions for both owing and terminating of the annual fee.

That is critical to any creditor who is charging fees in addition to the principal balance of credit extended.

The reason is that if the debt ever goes to collection, the debt collector is subject to the requirements of the FDCPA in their collection activities.

FDCPA 808(1) makes it a violation for a debt collector to attempt to collection any amount, including any fee or interest, that is not specifically authorized in the account agreement creating the credit or othewise permitted by law.

They will thus almost invariably include specific definition in their account agreements of consumer obligation for annual fees.

Dig out your account agreement, which should contain your answer......

Message 4 of 13
Goblin
Regular Contributor

I would pay off the balance before cancelling.

Starting Score: Ex: 495 Eq: 492 Tu: 497
Current Score: Ex: 708 Eq: 716 Tu: 710

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I cancelled a 5k credit card and my scores improved by 20 points and my utilization dropped to 22%. I think it depends on the card company and maybe they vary in how they report?

Message 6 of 13
marty56
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I cancelled a 5k credit card and my scores improved by 20 points and my utilization dropped to 22%.

Closing a CC would not lower your % util.  Something else must have happend.

There is only 2 good reasons to close a CC.

1.  It charges a monthly or yearly fee.

2. It is a BofA card.

Ok #2 is just for me.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@marty56 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I cancelled a 5k credit card and my scores improved by 20 points and my utilization dropped to 22%.

2. It is a BofA card.

Ok #2 is just for me.

For me I did it because it was a joint account with my mom and I qualified for a larger line on my own finally so I could carry that balance just in my name. 

Message 8 of 13
NRB525
Super Contributor

@marty56 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

2. It is a BofA card.

Ok #2 is just for me.

My two favorite cards are BofA. You might have done something to tork them off? Smiley Happy

And I believe a large closed account that I have was not being included in overall utilization calculations, and the CCC kept a large enough CL reporting anyway so it would not look like 100% utilization. So it does depend on the situation. YMMV.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

It was a plains commerce from 10 years ago. I had a small balance and paid it off. Called to cancel but they couldn't cancel over phone said I had to request in writing. (Seriously) glad that is done. 

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.