Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit card cancelled by issuer

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit card cancelled by issuer

Hi there,

I posted this in another forum. Sorry for the repeat.   I have a question about how a issuer-initiated cancelled credit card affects your score. 

Recently, my card was automatically cancelled by the issuer because someone tried to use it fraudulently.  No money was ever lost.  The issuer cancelled my credit card and issued a new one. 

Does anyone  know how will this impact my credit score? 
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit card cancelled by issuer

sounds to me just just getting a new card with a new number, but your account hasn't been canceled but it's still the same account

Message Edited by rbbyrbsn on 07-30-2007 05:07 PM
Message 2 of 5
m_jonis
Contributor

If it's Crap One, then your score will go down because they'll report the old card as ACTIVE and report the NEW one as well. And since they don't report CL, if your current balance is anywhere near the "high balance" you're doubly screwed.
Finally made it to 813
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@m_jonis wrote:
If it's Crap One, then your score will go down because they'll report the old card as ACTIVE and report the NEW one as well. And since they don't report CL, if your current balance is anywhere near the "high balance" you're doubly screwed.

Really? I remember losing my card once with them, and they sent me a new one with a new card number. I only see one Cap1 card reported in my credit report.
Message 4 of 5
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

As long as it has a $0 balance you have nothing to worry about.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.