Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit card cash advance question

tag
scorewatcher7
Valued Member

Re: Credit card cash advance question

Your interest will be negligible but immediate. on 26% your looking at like a quarter for the 'loan'. However, your CCC will see you took a cash advance and possibly put a small flag in your file. It probably won't matter with one or two of them and if you pay it off immediately, but I wouldn't make it a ritual, or your CCC might think you're having money issues and raise your annual APR for purchases...

Message 11 of 20
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Note that in a few - very few - cases (DCU for one) a cash advance on their Visa is considered just another purchase with no abusive service fees or interest rates. 

Message 12 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

So they make $10.00 off of me presumably, right (service fee)? Plus they will charge me interest from the second I withdrawal the funds? Woo wee, never again. Plus I don't need any red flags from Chase.

Message 13 of 20
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So they make $10.00 off of me presumably, right (service fee)? Plus they will charge me interest from the second I withdrawal the funds? Woo wee, never again. Plus I don't need any red flags from Chase.

Well, you were able to pay the Freedom card with cash the same day. Were you simply not able to get to a debit card ATM?

If one needs a cash advance, and rush situations do occur, it is fine to take a cash advance as long as one is aware of all the fees.

I really doubt Chase puts any special flags on the account. It already gets coded as cash advance, the fees to the cardholder make up for the merchant fees lost, and the cash interest is higher.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 14 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

It wasn't a real need as I could have simply went to BOA an withdrawal the funds from my checking. I just wanted to try out the cash advance services. These are my 1st CC ever. I know, stupid.  If in fact, should I EVER need to utilizes that option I know what to expect.

Message 15 of 20
elim
Senior Contributor

@pipeguy wrote:

Note that in a few - very few - cases (DCU for one) a cash advance on their Visa is considered just another purchase with no abusive service fees or interest rates. 

USAA also (besides the 3% BT / Cash fee).  I was short on a race boat part and wrote a BT check for 2k and paid it off when it posted. It cost me 65 bucks i think ($60 fee and $5 interest). That was the only time i have used a BT check or cash advance. The last time a talked to USAA customer service,  when i was done with my questions they asked... "You need some more checks?" lol, to funny

that's what they are there for.... emergencies, being without a car would have cost you much more than $10   :]

Message 16 of 20
NRB525
Super Contributor

Not at all stupid. You were just going through a process to learn how it works. For $10 plus a $1 of interest, now you know, and you can later decide if you want to over-think carrying cash, or it is worth the fees for those situations that might or might not arise when a CC doesn't fill the bill.

I took my Diners Premier card over to a local Chase branch, because after some research I figured those ATM are listed as being able to use the EMV PIN features, to get cash directly out of the cash machine. It was a no go, and I had to go into the branch to do my $100 cash advance test. Called Diners to confirm they have issues. So, my test results are: Don't expect to rely on Diners to give you an ATM cash advance. Lesson learned, and I will plan any cash carry in the future to not rely on Diners for cash. $4 fee plus some interest expense and now I know.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 17 of 20
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

@scorewatcher7 wrote:

Your interest will be negligible but immediate. on 26% your looking at like a quarter for the 'loan'. However, your CCC will see you took a cash advance and possibly put a small flag in your file. It probably won't matter with one or two of them and if you pay it off immediately, but I wouldn't make it a ritual, or your CCC might think you're having money issues and raise your annual APR for purchases...

Is this hypothesis or based on fact?

Message 18 of 20
Hubcapjw
Contributor

Thank you for this thread I have learned a little more about cash advances.

Message 19 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

It wasn't a real need as I could have simply went to BOA an withdrawal the funds from my checking. I just wanted to try out the cash advance services. These are my 1st CC ever. I know, stupid.  If in fact, should I EVER need to utilizes that option I know what to expect.

@Anonymous,

If in fact you ever need that, perhaps you should have the Target Prepaid Redcard as a backup that way, you are not charged those high fees.  You can take the money at the ATM for free - no ATM fees.

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.