Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit card closing date

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit card closing date

Is there a way to find out what the closing date on a credit card is?  I have a credit card with 0% interest for a few more months, and so I use it for some purchases.  I am in the "repairing" stage with my credit, so I am trying to keep my util down to 0%.  I just need to know when to pay the balance on this card so it doesn't report a balance.  I am thrilled with myfico!  In only 2 months, my score went from 520 to 645.  I have read all I can on this forum, and learned TONS!  This is my first post, so any advise would be helpful.  Thanks!
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit card closing date

One of my cards says on the website "closing date May 12" or just check the date of all your past bills. They are usually all the same day or close enough to put you in the ballpark.
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks!  I appreciate the info.  I am hoping this will add a few more points to the score.  I just have not had it paid down before it reports.  Hoping this will be the month.
Message 3 of 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

* I didn't see that this thread got duplicated. I'm moving my reply on the dupe thread here, and then I'll delete the other. *

Which bank/ company issues your card? Almost all of them report on the date that the statement posts, and they report the amount on that statement. Some always post on the exact same date each month, and others wander around a few days either way.

You can check your previous statements to find your usual statement date.

HSBC updates on the last business day of the month, and my understanding is that they report the balance on that day, although maybe it's the amount from the statement, but reported at the end of the month.

American Express reports the previous month's balance, but I keep reading different info about whether they actually report on the statement date or at the end of the month.

(As usual I need a rescue on the HSBC and AmEx stuff!)

Anyway, for the normal cards, if you pay your balance off about 5 days before the next statement is due, and then check again a day or two before it posts, you should have $0 reporting.

Do let one card report a tiny balance or so. Members have reported a 10-20 point drop if there are no CC's reporting a balance, although I got a score increase with TU when this (all $0's) accidentally happened once.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks haulingupthescore!  This card is with Orchard, but a premium card, so I think it is actually HSBC.  I did not know that having $0 balances could hurt. I will make sure there is a SMALL balance reporting.  I have cleaned up everything else that I can on my report, so this is the only thing that I can do for about 6 months before anything drops off my report.  I am reaching for the 660 mark, then the prize of 720!
Message 5 of 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks haulingupthescore! This card is with Orchard, but a premium card, so I think it is actually HSBC. I did not know that having $0 balances could hurt. I will make sure there is a SMALL balance reporting. I have cleaned up everything else that I can on my report, so this is the only thing that I can do for about 6 months before anything drops off my report. I am reaching for the 660 mark, then the prize of 720!

Great work! You've done a lot in a short period of time. Many congrats!

Reading your post again, is this your one and only card? I don't know if the let-one-post thing applies if you only have one. If this is the only one, since you're going into a waiting period, you might experiment with letting it report $0 one month and then letting it report $10 the next, and see if there's any difference.

Of course, this would mean that you're a credit score junkie like the rest of us! Smiley Wink
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nope hauling, I have 3 cards.  This is the one I am using right now since it still has the 0%.  I have learned from the rest of you "EXPERTS", that I should use my brain when using credit.  So I don't see the point in using the other cards with higher interest.  Besides, this is one that has a 2% cash back.  (Wow, I am starting to use credit instead of credit using me!)  And yes, I am becoming a credit junkie! Smiley Very Happy
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

HSBC reports at the end of the month and they report whatever your balance is on the day they report. It doesn't show up on your reports until around the 10th-14th because of the way they send in their updates though.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.