Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit card comparison ...

tag
Veee
Frequent Contributor

Re: Credit card comparison ...

Interesting, thanks all for your input on this, much appreciated!

smallfry wrote:
Join Penfed and apply for their Cash Back card. They pull Equifax.

You all got me wondering about PenFed so I took a look at them, everyone seems to like them.  I don't know anyone in the military or affiliated with the military. This isn't true, my ex was but I don't know that he would help me (do I need him?).  I did notice that you can join a group or something, become a member and then apply without keeping that membership.  But I didn't look any further into those memberships ... any tips for me getting in with them?

I am with a CU and chose not to have there CC, call me stupid Smiley Surprised  When I was married I was an installment loan junky, cc's got me into trouble and with installment loans I could get what I needed and know what my monthly expenses are/were.  I see things differently now Smiley Happy  Anyway, I have had many of loans with them and currently have my vehicle loan with them.  My point is that most all of my credit/debt is with them ... just looking for something outside of the box.

Again, thanks so much for all the posts!
Veee
Myfico scores as of 11/12/08 TU 750 EX 722

MyFico scores as of 9/20/08 TU 638 EX 663 EQ 691
Message 11 of 18
jaxstraw
Valued Contributor

All you have to do is join the NMOA for a one time fee. I'm pretty sure you can do it right through PenFed's application process online. I'm sure someone here will correct me if 'm wrong.

Not all CU's are the same so don't let your experiences with your current/past CU determine future relationships. The info on this site will help you figure out some of the good ones.

You might want to do a search for ALLIANT also. They only pull EQ and are a good CC lender. Many positive responses (myself included) about them. All you have to do is be a member of your local PTA or join the National PTA. They really don't even check.

Jax
Jax

*************************************************************************************
Then you are a fool. Be thankful that when God gave you a face, he gave you a fool's face
Message 12 of 18
smallfry
Senior Contributor

I would go with Penfed. There has been some discussion about the online application process with Alliant being very buggy. You can join online with Penfed with no problems just pay the $20 fee if you have no military in.
Message 13 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rather than checking out PenFed, you might want to consider joining one of the largest credit unions in your state. In my experience, large local credit unions offer better APRs on their credit cards, better interest rates on savings accounts, and better rates on loans than PenFed. I was just looking at PenFed's rates on their products and I was underwhelmed (13.99% APR on credit cards? .74% rate on savings? Are you kidding?); I receive more favorable rates with my large state credit union.

In my experience, the more focused the credit union's mission, the better rates you'll receive. Large credit unions like PenFed differ very little from national banks as far as rates go...

But that's just my experience in my state. Shop around for credit unions and their rate on CCs. You'll find one you like.
Message 14 of 18
spiritcraft1
Valued Contributor

Alliant was very good to me... 

Biz |
Current F08 -
Current 2,4,5 -
Current F09 -
No PG Biz Credit in Order of Approval - Uline, Quill, Grainger, SupplyWorks, MSC, Amsterdam, Citi Tractor Supply Rev .8k, NewEgg Net 30 10k, Richelieu 2k, Wurth Supply 2k, Global Ind 2k, Sam's Club Store 11.k, Shell Fleet 19.5k, Citi Exxon 2.5k, Dell Biz Revolving $15k, B&H Photo, $5k

Message 15 of 18
Veee
Frequent Contributor

jaxstraw wrote:
All you have to do is join the NMOA for a one time fee. I'm pretty sure you can do it right through PenFed's application process online. I'm sure someone here will correct me if 'm wrong.

Not all CU's are the same so don't let your experiences with your current/past CU determine future relationships. The info on this site will help you figure out some of the good ones.  Don't miss understand me ... I love my CU!  They have always been good to me.

You might want to do a search for ALLIANT also. They only pull EQ and are a good CC lender. Many positive responses (myself included) about them. All you have to do is be a member of your local PTA or join the National PTA. They really don't even check.
I use to be the PTA President at my daughter elem. school.  Wonder if that would help ...hmmmm

Jax

Myfico scores as of 11/12/08 TU 750 EX 722

MyFico scores as of 9/20/08 TU 638 EX 663 EQ 691
Message 16 of 18
jaxstraw
Valued Contributor

You know I kind of got off the OP's topic. Although ALLIANT is a good CU , it is not a great rewards card, (which is what the OP is looking for).

PenFed is one of the best rewards cards out there, if you are just looking for a good CU card than ALLIANT might be among your choices.

Depending on the OP's locale, I'd look to see who pulls EQ for that area at one of the data base sites.

Jax

Jax
Jax

*************************************************************************************
Then you are a fool. Be thankful that when God gave you a face, he gave you a fool's face
Message 17 of 18
jmbfl
Valued Contributor

I would far rather deal with PenFed for just about anything that I would my large state CU. I am a member of both and both have their uses. If my FL CU has a better product I will gladly use. That said, my PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards VISA is the best credit card I have, and I have other, very good CC's. You don't get a rewards card and worry about the APR. Rewards cards are for rewards, not balances. If I want to carry a balance I will use one of my lower rate cards. If I want good rewards I will use my PenFed card like I used to use my debit card and pay it a few times a month. They are also very generous with CL's once you get a card. I asked for $5K when I applied and it was approved. A few weeks later I went back and asked for my CL to be adjusted to $10K and it was. The SO was instantly approved O/L for $10K AND an auto loan up to $25K which she did not ask for. (And did not accept.)

If you are interested in PenFed it is easy to join - but do not join until you are ready to app the card. Your credit will be pulled at the time you join and that pull will be used for 60 to 90 days for any credit products you apply for. When you join you will either join MOAA ($13) or NMFA ($20). That is all there is to it. Consider it a contribution to a very worthy cause. Their service is 24/7 and top notch. I like dealing with them enormously. Next to PenFed EFFCU is a rinky dink operation!

Message Edited by jmbfl on 09-28-2008 08:28 PM
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.