Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit card debt after death.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit card debt after death.

If people believe paying legitimate bills sets a dangerous precident then its no wonder our country is in a financial and credit crisis.
Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
If people believe paying legitimate bills sets a dangerous precident then its no wonder our country is in a financial and credit crisis.
The debt is legitimate to the person who is deceased, not an uninvolved third party, which is precisely why we have laws in this country which prevent creditors from going after third parties for debt of a deceased person.

It took our ancestors generations to fight for the the rights we have in this country-- the right to be free from debtors prison and the right not to be held liable for the debt of our kin. I can't believe the sentiment on this forum from some people who want to return to the days of fuedalism and eternal, timeless debt. 

Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

We are talking about paying it out of the deceased's estate without them having to fight for it, not you paying it out of your own pocket. And certainly no one said anything about debtor's prison let alone feudalism.

Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

We are talking about paying it out of the deceased's estate without them having to fight for it, not you paying it out of your own pocket. And certainly no one said anything about debtor's prison let alone feudalism.

Scroll up. Watchmann stated that he and his wife paid the Visa bill of his deceased father with no mention of an estate. That is what prompted this discussion about third parties paying the bills of a deceased person.

Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

It was ambiguous as to the source of the funding. I agree that one has no legal obligation.

At the end of the day we all pay for situations like that, either through the cost of insurance or our APR or annual fees.

Message 15 of 19
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Scroll up. Watchmann stated that he and his wife paid the Visa bill of his deceased father with no mention of an estate. That is what prompted this discussion about third parties paying the bills of a deceased person.

To set the record straight, the $800 Visa bill was paid out of my father-in-laws checking account.  (My wife is the trustee of his Trust arrangement.)  I agree a third party doesn't have any responsibility to pay off someone elses debt.  That was not the point of my original post in this thread.  My point was this: If a person has legitimate debts upon his death, and his estate has the funds to pay those debts, then they should be paid, especially the relatively minor stuff like utility bills and credit cards.  It seems some folks are saying as soon as someone dies the estate has no responsibility to pay the deceased debts and to just tell the debt holders to 'go to hell', or 'take me to court'.  That's a slippery slope on the Moral Hazard route, which this country is well down the road on it seems.   

Message Edited by Watchmann on 11-22-2008 12:28 PM
Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Watchmann wrote: 

To set the record straight, the $800 Visa bill was paid out of my father-in-laws checking account.  (My wife is the trustee of his Trust arrangement.)  I agree a third party doesn't have any responsibility to pay off someone elses debt.  That was not the point of my original post in this thread.  My point was this: If a person has legitimate debts upon his death, and his estate has the funds to pay those debts, then they should be paid, especially the relatively minor stuff like utility bills and credit cards.  It seems some folks are saying as soon as someone dies the estate has no responsibility to pay the deceased debts and to just tell the debt holders to 'go to hell', or 'take me to court'.  That's a slippery slope on the Moral Hazard route, which this country is well down the road on it seems.   

Message Edited by Watchmann on 11-22-2008 12:28 PM

Actually, if your wife was Trustee of his estate, she had no choice but to pay it in order to facilitate the disbursement of the funds/estate to the beneficiaries. That's basic probate law.

However, paying it BEFORE the CCC demanded it was the right thing to do. But AFAIK, most people do that. We did on my FIL's estate (though I wasn't the Trustee, I helped), immediately after conveying the death certificate and notifying them of the probate.

But legally, if she hadn't paid them, she'd be in the deep doo-doo. The kind that gets you oodles of fines -- and possible jail time for fraud.

As re folks just refusing to use the estate to pay legitimate bills incurred by the decedent, that's illegal. And most probate courts (and laws) have mechanisms in place to prevent that.

Beneficiaries and Trustees can demand validation and proof of the debt (which can drag the process out by a few months -- and probate takes forever as it is), but refuse to pay without grounds? Nope. 

We had to demand validation on my FIL's rent. The landlord decided to hit us up for rent that wasn't covered by the lease. The LL inflated the "move-out" costs by roughly $4K, despite the fact that since my FIL was ex-military and VERY organized and attentive to details, he'd "overpaid" the rent by 6 months to prevent his estate from being hounded by the LL. We'll say that the LL was VERY upset to find out that we knew about the "credited" rent paid. Bastige.

Message 17 of 19
marty56
Super Contributor

I am really so dead now.  When DW finds out that if she kills me before I pay the CC bill for my new additions to the DVD collection as to be paid out of my life insurance, she will make it painfull and slow.

We have an obligation to pay our bills, be it while we are alive or after we are dead from the estate.  If this were not true, I  suspect there would be a lot more DH's as in Dead Husbands who shared the same fate of death by CC purchase.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 18 of 19
elsijfdl
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

We had to demand validation on my FIL's rent. The landlord decided to hit us up for rent that wasn't covered by the lease. The LL inflated the "move-out" costs by roughly $4K, despite the fact that since my FIL was ex-military and VERY organized and attentive to details, he'd "overpaid" the rent by 6 months to prevent his estate from being hounded by the LL. We'll say that the LL was VERY upset to find out that we knew about the "credited" rent paid. Bastige.

Wow... I wonder if there is some act of fraud in there on LL's part.

Message Edited by elsijfdl on 11-22-2008 01:12 PM
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.