Did you mean: 

Credit card for international students

tag
100down0monthly
New Contributor

Re: Credit card for international students

@longtimelurker wrote:

This offer is available to US Residents

That is ambiguous and I would interpret it to mean "have a US address" especially as they then go on to exclude the VI and PR, where both US citizens and perm res might live.  So this is NOT the same as saying citizens and perm res only, as you seem to suggest.

Semantics.  Feel free to "massage" the verbiage to fit what you believe is correct.

Offer only available to U.S. residents 18 and older.  <---this is from the Discover IT application T&C...also in your other profile as in your wallet.

Message 31 of 53
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@100down0monthly wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

That is ambiguous and I would interpret it to mean "have a US address" especially as they then go on to exclude the VI and PR, where both US citizens and perm res might live.  So this is NOT the same as saying citizens and perm res only, as you seem to suggest.

Semantics.  Feel free to "massage" the verbiage to fit what you believe is correct.

Offer only available to U.S. residents 18 and older.  <---this is from the Discover IT application T&C...also in your other profile as in your wallet.

So, please explain the reference to VI and PR that apparently fits your unmassaged semantics.

Message 32 of 53
100down0monthly
New Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@100down0monthly wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

So, please explain the reference to VI and PR that apparently fits your unmassaged semantics.

Please explain how "having a US address' qualifies you as a "resident".  It would seem to be the more relevant question, especially being that the OP is asking such.

Message 33 of 53
enharu
Super Contributor

Longtimelurker.............

Google is your best friend.

If you are still unconvinced........here you go again.........http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Us_resident

If you are still unconvinced, talk to an immigration attorney or the USCIS. 

And just so you know, PR and VI are NOT States. They are TERRITORIES of the United States of America. As a result they have different laws and regulations.

EDIT: To add.......having an address in the US does NOT make you a US resident. Anyone from anywhere can book a hotel room in the US, and therefore have a physical address in the United States. There will be no illegal immigrants in the United States if such logic is true.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 34 of 53
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Well, basically we are talking about the T&C of a credit card, not the Visa definitions used by the Federal Government.  Also, the T&C talk about things like "A resident of WI".  What does that mean?  A permanent resident of WI, or someone who happens to live there now?

This could be like my UK accounts, where they won't open an account/send a card, to an address outside the UK.  To me, that makes more sense, they do not serve PR or VI, nothing to do with residence status.

But rather than relying on Google for the wrong definitions, I just wrote to Amex to ask.  I promise to post their response here.

Message 35 of 53
enharu
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Well, basically we are talking about the T&C of a credit card, not the Visa definitions used by the Federal Government.  Also, the T&C talk about things like "A resident of WI".  What does that mean?  A permanent resident of WI, or someone who happens to live there now?

This could be like my UK accounts, where they won't open an account/send a card, to an address outside the UK.  To me, that makes more sense, they do not serve PR or VI, nothing to do with residence status.

But rather than relying on Google for the wrong definitions, I just wrote to Amex to ask.  I promise to post their response here.

you can argue all you want, but terms such as that is regarded as a definition and this interpretation has been long upheld by the courts. 

rather than relying on anyone else, why not call the USCIS, or to go their branch office, and ask? You can always talk to the immigration attorney working at your firm. I know several people working at Intel, Marvell, Google and other silicon valley firms. They all have their inhouse immigration attorneys that does applications for green card sponsorship applications, work visa applications and all other visa related stuff. You can do the same and talk to your company's attorney.

And P.S. google isn't wrong on this definition.

And also, this is getting blown out of proportion. People are getting worked up because it's starting to look like some kind of a witch hunt.

I have long inquired about this because I was concerned with the legality of it as well. I was worried about doing something that will come back to haunt me during a review or immigration process. I came to the US on a F-1 visa, and eventually converted to green card (got my unconditional green card last year) through EB-5. No one here (at least not me) is trying to single out immigrants of any kind. I am an immigrant myself.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 36 of 53
longtermgardener
New Contributor

The term resident is generic. Like I said before, I am considered as a US resident for tax purpose because I pass substancial presence test.

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/Substantial-Presence-Test

You are considered as resident alien if you work in USA for more than 31 days in a year or 183 days in last 3 years combined. You have to pay tax and social security. There is a section on substancial presence test in IRS website which explains it clearly. They are taxed on their worldwide income. As for as I am concerned, I paid more than 40K in taxes and social security payments last year to the US and CA governments and I have to disclose all my overseas accounts with balance of more than $10k and pay taxes on the interest earned overseas. Just refer the above link. What I mean to say is, AMEX and Discover just mentioned resident. They have not explicitly mentioned that you need to be a greencard holder or a US citizen to apply for a card like Barclays bank. I got my AMEX card after recon. When I called AMEX and spoke to a credit analyst, I told him that I am here on a visa. They had no problems with it.

Wallet : AMEX Costco TE 23k, BoFA 123 Visa Signature $12.5k, Marriott rewards $5k, Discover IT $1.7k, Walmart Discover $5.5k, Cap 1 Platinum $1500, Amazon $2000

Scores: EQ 712(9/28/13), EX 728 (9/28/13), TU 717 (Credit Karma 10/26/13), TU 753 Walmart (9/03/13)
Last app : 9/28/2013
Message 37 of 53
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@enharu wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

you can argue all you want, but terms such as that is regarded as a definition and this interpretation has been long upheld by the courts. 

rather than relying on anyone else, why not call the USCIS, or to go their branch office, and ask? You can always talk to the immigration attorney working at your firm. I know several people working at Intel, Marvell, Google and other silicon valley firms. They all have their inhouse immigration attorneys that does applications for green card sponsorship applications, work visa applications and all other visa related stuff. You can do the same and talk to your company's attorney.

And P.S. google isn't wrong on this definition.

And also, this is getting blown out of proportion. People are getting worked up because it's starting to look like some kind of a witch hunt.

I have long inquired about this because I was concerned with the legality of it as well. I was worried about doing something that will come back to haunt me during a review or immigration process. I came to the US on a F-1 visa, and eventually converted to green card (got my unconditional green card last year) through EB-5. No one here (at least not me) is trying to single out immigrants of any kind. I am an immigrant myself.

Yes, I'm an immigrant too as I said earlier, green card since 1986 (or 1987, depending which form you look at).  I am just interested.  Going to immigration attorneys and USCIS for a definition IS asking the wrong question.   I think we agree what is meant to them by resident alien vs non-resident alien.  The question brought up (in a frankly semi-hostile way, not by you)  is "Does an Amex Cosco application require perm res/citizenship".  Amex is indeed the correct source for that.

Message 38 of 53
100down0monthly
New Contributor

Ha.  This is getting a bit ridiculous.  I have, and have always had, a US passport.  Last year on my tax returns, I was NOT considered a US Resident, even being an American citizen by birth.  I was living abroad.  You can argue this into the dirt, but the fact of the matter is, and we all know it, you are not considered a US resident until you have citizenship or a greencard.

Message 39 of 53
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Hey everyone I think these last few pages may have scared the OP away. If you are concerned about your individual status- I suggest you ask that lender what their definition/interpretation is before hitting submit.

Message 40 of 53
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.