Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit card for traveling with work

tag
Viperlx
New Contributor

Credit card for traveling with work

I have landed a new job which includes 100% travel with hotels and flights.  I am looking to stream all my expenses through this credit card every month to max my rewards and points.  Can anyone recommend a credit card such as this with a high enough limit?

Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit card for traveling with work

Chase Sapphire Preferred is the best in the market for this type of thing! 40,000 bonus points after spending $3000 in the first 3 months (equal to $500 in travel), 7% annual return on all earned points, 2x for restaurants, 1x for everything else, bonus points for booking through Ultimate Rewards, etc. annual fee of $95 waived the first year!

Message 2 of 32
distantarray
Established Contributor

@daybreakgonesXe wrote:

Chase Sapphire Preferred is the best in the market for this type of thing! 40,000 bonus points after spending $3000 in the first 3 months (equal to $500 in travel), 7% annual return on all earned points, 2x for restaurants, 1x for everything else, bonus points for booking through Ultimate Rewards, etc. annual fee of $95 waived the first year!

as much as I love Chase I would hate to say PenFed has the better one if you can get i n 5x on all travel expenses but they are extremely strict.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 3 of 32
HiLine
Blogger

Amex Gold/Platinum - no limit whatsoever.

Message 4 of 32
distantarray
Established Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

Amex Gold/Platinum - no limit whatsoever.

that's a good point, a Amex Platinum is a must if your flying a lot imo but PRG i'd pass on with PenFed if I had the choice.

Message 5 of 32
Viperlx
New Contributor

my credit is still recovering right now so I am worried about being declined on AMEX.  I have a Chase United Mileage Plus card but it only gives miles.  Something to post on restaurants and others would be great.

Message 6 of 32
distantarray
Established Contributor

@Viperlx wrote:

my credit is still recovering right now so I am worried about being declined on AMEX.  I have a Chase United Mileage Plus card but it only gives miles.  Something to post on restaurants and others would be great.

Amex platinum is actually not that hard card to get, it's just a high annual fee green basically imo atleast =) They jus want their annuals upfront If you were able to get Chase Mileage that means your credit is fine, for travel Citi Forward isn't bad 5 points per dollar but you won't always get 1/1 and those points are for cash back but for gift cards for best redeem rates.  Next best card is probably Sapphire for travel, 0% foreign transaction fees 2.67 points for restaurants when used for travel or 2.14 if used for cash back. also nice bonus. US Bank Cash+ is a great one but hard to get probably try for this next before any other app. 6.25% back on restaurants and billpay that most people choose(you get to choose two categories)

1. US Bank Cash+

2. Amex Platinum

3. Chase Sapphire

4. Citi Forward

in the order of importance and app sequence imo.

Message 7 of 32
Viperlx
New Contributor

Would a credit score around 640 be okay though?

Message 8 of 32
distantarray
Established Contributor

US Bank Cash+    nope

Citi Forward maybe

Sapphire Nope

Amex Platinum possibly.

but then I would've said you wouldn't get approved for the United Chase card but that's just speculation. You have 640 Fico or Fako scores?

Message 9 of 32
Viperlx
New Contributor

I have a 640 USAA FAKO score. I am more interersted in AMEX right now but I got denied for a ZYNC card some time ago.  I am in the system with a corporate card but it doesn't report to my credit report.

Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.