Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit card fraud - need recommendations on what to do

tag
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit card fraud - need recommendations on what to do

@quest208 wrote:

but i would also strongly consider getting a new social security number.  if it was me id be so paranoid, so i cant imagine what you're going through.

Changing your SSN is serious business and should not be taken lightly unless your entire identity has been compromised and stolen.

Message 41 of 59
Obt3wKLq5t
New Contributor

I'll be a lot more careful about using my phone now for anything password related.

Phone was brought new in both instances, the old one and new.  I'm been following up with Citi regarding those copy of the plane tickets.  They say the request with the airline is still pending.  Arghhh...

What is also interesting is that my wife use one of those old phones and uses ipad for surfing and she's not affected.  So that's why I'm paranoid and thinks that whoever has access to these carrier IQ logs and data behind the scene are selling them.

As for alerts, I did set multiple alerts up for all my credit card where I get an instant email/text message for everything.  Banking accounts are not affected, only credit cards.

American Express SPG, Chase Freedom, Citi Forward, Citi Dividend World Elite, Discover More, Penfed Platinum Rewards, Kohls
Message 42 of 59
Obt3wKLq5t
New Contributor

For router, I locked it down to known mac addresses and add any new device as I buy them.  I use gmail and do change email passwords from time to time.  I think I'll change my phone habit until all this thing clears up.

American Express SPG, Chase Freedom, Citi Forward, Citi Dividend World Elite, Discover More, Penfed Platinum Rewards, Kohls
Message 43 of 59
Obt3wKLq5t
New Contributor

i looked up online about social security number, it seems like a lot of work for not much benefits in terms of getting rid of identity theft.

As for rooting suggested by another person here, its a possibility but this thing is integrated deeply into my current phone and looks like it is the same for some of the other phone as well. You can't uninstall unless you put a new ROM into the phone and with it, problems with the phone itself.  I'll see what I can find and maybe simply get a Iphone 4S as I need a phone to access emails from work.

Message 44 of 59
john398
Senior Contributor

Glad I dont have sprint, I just read an article though that Carrier IQ is going to stop collecting data

http://idealab.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/12/the-great-carrier-iq-disabling-begins.php

Message 45 of 59
castlefox
Regular Contributor

+1 on changing all your passwords and log ins (if you can) every year. 

I would be cautious about apps you decide to download on any regardless of OS.  I like an android app called Lookout https://market.android.com/details?id=com.lookout&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5sb...

it is free and looks to see if you apps are known to be trouble makers.

You could also use a linux boot CD to do any online financial dealings.   That way you know that there is no malware on your system when you try to get online through their website. 

MyFICO score- Equifax - 12.03.11 - 780 Experian 12.03.11 - 763
(FAKO Scores) EXP PLUS Score Dec 2011. 748
Advanced Risk Score 2.0 (NextGen) 793 Dec 2010
Vantage Score (2011) MAR = 771 Jun = 771 Sept= 788 Dec= 773
2012 MAR = 782 JUN=783 Dec = 789
2013 Mar-796 Jun-799 Dec- 797
Message 46 of 59
quest208
Frequent Contributor

that linux idea is not bad at all.  ive used knoppix on cd in the past, never thought about using it for financial purposes only.  nice

TU08 762
NFCU Visa Signature $20,000, Citi Prestige $15,500, USAA Mastercard $11,000, American Express Platinum, Barclays American Express $4700, Best Buy Mastercard $400, Orchard/Capital One $700
Message 47 of 59
my25reasons
Regular Contributor

@stan_the_man wrote:

Remember, your email account serves as a hub to every financial website. You can normally get either a password hint or a password reset by having access to it.

THIS!!! Change your email password, and change it often!! Make it as secure as possible using symbols, numbers, lower case letters and uppercase letters. All accounts are accessible and passwords changeable if someone has access to the email account that they are linked to!

In my wallet:
Discover More / Chase Amazon / Chase Freedom /Chase Business Ink / Chase Slate / Capital One Cash Rewards / Walmart Discover / Kohls / JCPenny / Home Depot / Art Van

Experian Direct PLUS scores: Experian 744/ Equifax 763/ TU 744
Message 48 of 59
castlefox
Regular Contributor

Also do not click on any links to log into you account.  Only go to websites that you type into your browsers, I like to type in all my financial websites and make sure they are the https version and I bookmark them, that way I dont accidently log in with out https.

MyFICO score- Equifax - 12.03.11 - 780 Experian 12.03.11 - 763
(FAKO Scores) EXP PLUS Score Dec 2011. 748
Advanced Risk Score 2.0 (NextGen) 793 Dec 2010
Vantage Score (2011) MAR = 771 Jun = 771 Sept= 788 Dec= 773
2012 MAR = 782 JUN=783 Dec = 789
2013 Mar-796 Jun-799 Dec- 797
Message 49 of 59
PetRaccoon
New Contributor

Use a separate browser for all your financial related information.. (or Chrome, which uses a separate Process for each tab, so it can isolate threats without closing the whole browser, not sure if IE or FF does that, I haven't looked in a long time)

TU08:: 754 (4/14) EQ: 745 (6/14) 753 (1/13) Ex: 766 (12/11)
Goal: 800! Then Keep it there and keep growing!~
Card(s): HSBC Premier WMC: 5,000 (7/09), Chase Freedom 6,000 (11/11) BCE 3,200 (12/11) Chase Saph: 5,000 (5/12)
Message 50 of 59
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.