Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit card fraud - need recommendations on what to do

tag
Obt3wKLq5t
New Contributor

Re: Credit card fraud - need recommendations on what to do

Today I just found out about a possible culprit for my data leak.

Carrier IQ.  There is a freakin spyware installed on my cell phone by Sprint and HTC that I can not uninstall that tracks every little detail that I do on the phone including keystrokes.

I was wondering why the person would have my brand new passwords that I change almost every quarter to Paypal and American Express.  These are accounts that I log in using my HTC Touch Pro2 and now Evo 3D, both of which has an carrier IQ installed according to news articles.

When I said that I wiped my laptop cleaned, I meant wiped the entire hard drive and install the operating system anew.  So they can't possibiliy know my new passwords unless there is either a hidden camera everywhere in my house or work seeing my every move.  This whole Carrier IQ thing actually made sense of everything.  I hope the whole company get brought down by these lawsuits and inquiries.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2397732,00.asp

http://www.androidcentral.com/htc-63-million-devices-carrier-iq-including-some-shouldnt-have-it

American Express SPG, Chase Freedom, Citi Forward, Citi Dividend World Elite, Discover More, Penfed Platinum Rewards, Kohls
Message 31 of 59
dp321
Regular Contributor

@Obt3wKLq5t wrote:

Carrier IQ.  There is a freakin spyware installed on my cell phone by Sprint and HTC that I can not uninstall that tracks every little detail that I do on the phone including keystrokes.

I was wondering why the person would have my brand new passwords that I change almost every quarter to Paypal and American Express.  These are accounts that I log in using my HTC Touch Pro2 and now Evo 3D, both of which has an carrier IQ installed according to news articles.

When I said that I wiped my laptop cleaned, I meant wiped the entire hard drive and install the operating system anew.  So they can't possibiliy know my new passwords unless there is either a hidden camera everywhere in my house or work seeing my every move.  This whole Carrier IQ thing actually made sense of everything.  I hope the whole company get brought down by these lawsuits and inquiries.

http://www.androidcentral.com/htc-63-million-devices-carrier-iq-including-some-shouldnt-have-it

Good to know, I was gonna get a HTC phone for christmas, I guess not now. 

Starting Score: EQ: 703 (4/2011);
Current Score: EQ: 738 (04/2013)

Goal Score: ALL 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 32 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dp321 wrote:

@Obt3wKLq5t wrote:

Buh... just root it..

http://www.xda-developers.com/

Message 33 of 59
quest208
Frequent Contributor

I would stop using any computer other than your own to log into financial accounts.
Id stop using the phone to log in. Is this a retail phone that has not been altered or was it bought used or unlocked , etc.?

You need to find out two things
Names on those plane tickets
Phone numbers and addresses that they were chsnged to
And, when they called, the number they were calling from if the banks keep that caller id information.

You can try to tell the bank that any purchase over, say, $100 the merchant has to call the bank in or stop all transactions where card is not being physically swiped....etc. Might want to think about that and see if its a good idea.

Its weird that your wife has not been affected. Do you bank together? Joint accounts?

TU08 762
NFCU Visa Signature $20,000, Citi Prestige $15,500, USAA Mastercard $11,000, American Express Platinum, Barclays American Express $4700, Best Buy Mastercard $400, Orchard/Capital One $700
Message 34 of 59
quest208
Frequent Contributor

If someone has your paypal password this problem seems to be internet/email related. Change your email account. If you gave yahoo, use gmail.
Your email needs to change asap if you have not done so.
If you are using your work email for personal, stop doing so.

Anything related to internet should stop or change.
If you have a router lock it down with passwords and change the router name and passwords and hide SID.
Add the ip address for the computers and shut everyone else out by specifying how many users can be on, in this case it would be the number of computers you have.

TU08 762
NFCU Visa Signature $20,000, Citi Prestige $15,500, USAA Mastercard $11,000, American Express Platinum, Barclays American Express $4700, Best Buy Mastercard $400, Orchard/Capital One $700
Message 35 of 59
laz98
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@dp321 wrote:

Buh... just root it..

what does that mean?  i hear people say that a lot.  (i did click on your link, but it takes me to a page of mini articles....am i supposed to read them all???)

i have an HTC EVO as well, & i have never heard of this "carrier iq" thing.  freaky!  Smiley Surprised

Message 36 of 59
SimonP
Valued Member

@quest208 wrote:
I would stop using any computer other than your own to log into financial accounts.
Id stop using the phone to log in. Is this a retail phone that has not been altered or was it bought used or unlocked , etc.?

Good advice. I used a jailbroken iPhone for 2 years and never did login to any bank. I even created a dummy Apple ID to connect to AppStore. Until Apple finally offered the unlocked 4S, I wasn't doing anything important on my cell phone.

My Wallet: Wells Fargo Visa, Chase Freedom 5%, Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP), Chase Sapphire, Amex Blue Cash Preferred (BCP), US Bank Cash+, Citi Premier
Message 37 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

@laz98 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@dp321 wrote:

Buh... just root it..

what does that mean?  i hear people say that a lot.  (i did click on your link, but it takes me to a page of mini articles....am i supposed to read them all???)

i have an HTC EVO as well, & i have never heard of this "carrier iq" thing.  freaky!  Smiley Surprised

You can wipe out the software put on your phone by your provider, including this carrier IQ garbage. Just google around for basic rooting articles

Message 38 of 59
quest208
Frequent Contributor

just one more thing, change your usernames for your bank info.

call the bank and have them delete your log in information.  then, with your new email address and new password,  create a new username/password for each bank, and only use ONE computer to log into that information.  get new cards and take it from there.  if you can, and i know you tried, have them put a security check when there attempts to call and alter information to the account.  instead of mother's maiden name they should change that to a pin or something only you would know.

but i would also strongly consider getting a new social security number.  if it was me id be so paranoid, so i cant imagine what you're going through.

good luck, and yes i also think its time to wipe out your phone or get a free phone from your carrier

TU08 762
Message 39 of 59
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

@Obt3wKLq5t wrote:

Amex says that even though the person might not have my card number, they will still talk to them and comply if the person have all my personal information.  That's why I added the pin but there is no guarantee that they will ask every time.  I wonder if there is additional steps that I can take lock this down further.  I just couldn't understand why they still focus on me after charging unsuccessfully to 3 of my accounts so far. 

My paypal and ebay account was also accessed with the passwords changed.  I have changed all passwords since then.  I don't quite understand this part because I actually change the passwords for accounts that I use often every 3 to 12 months so the person somehow knows my passwords too.  I have hard time understanding how anyone could get access to numbers that I constantly change.

Remember, your email account serves as a hub to every financial website. You can normally get either a password hint or a password reset by having access to it.

Message 40 of 59
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.