Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit card goals and why?

tag
noobody
Established Contributor

Re: Credit card goals and why?

@sunkissed wrote:

Ok…This is probably a “pie-in-the-sky” goal and I’m guessing I’m the only one still foolish enough to hold out hope, but…I plan to apply for the Ritz card when they offer 140k points again.  Then I plan to cancel my Marriott card and roll the limit into my CSP.  I would like Gold status – currently I’m just Silver.  Also, the airline reimbursements would be great.  I have a hard time finding a use for my free night every year from the Marriott card.  I hate that it’s only good for 6 months (without asking them to extend it).  My 6 months is always in the winter when I travel the least. (I tend to hibernate in the winter).

Marriott Cat 1-5 annual certificate issued after last spring will valid for one year, positive change on reward program is few and far in between, this is one of them

EX819 1HP|TU797 1HP| EQ(Fico8 BankCard)841
Message 21 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would like to be one of those folks with a unicorn card here in about 5 years. I can't remember who it is here, but they have something like a 6.25% card that also earns 1.5% back, maybe its FNBO?  Cool either way.

If I can get my ED APR below 8 percent I would be glad. Seeing how easy it was to reduce my DG apr, I dont think its too far fetched an idea'r.

I also want to make a decision on churning.  I will probably continue doing what I've been doing, but a part of me wants more. I could start going for the cards that let you get the bonus every 24 months.  What cards would those be?  Anything by Chase or Citi right? Any others?

Main goal now is get my BOA limit up.  With no bonus to work on, and with the great return in value, I plan on running everything but dining through my Amtrak.

Other goals include getting as many folks approved for Chase AARP as possible.  We have a friend of the family recently battling permanent brain damage, and we have been able to get about 10 people approved so far. When their cards come they will be able to donate more due to the bonus.  I have also started debating having the credit generous ones also app for the $175 BOA CR and pair that with a BBR.  Every little bit helps, and generally speaking, when asking for help, 200 after 500 or 175 after 500 is more tangible than spending 2-5k.

Message 22 of 35
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@noobody wrote:

@sunkissed wrote:

Ok…This is probably a “pie-in-the-sky” goal and I’m guessing I’m the only one still foolish enough to hold out hope, but…I plan to apply for the Ritz card when they offer 140k points again.  Then I plan to cancel my Marriott card and roll the limit into my CSP.  I would like Gold status – currently I’m just Silver.  Also, the airline reimbursements would be great.  I have a hard time finding a use for my free night every year from the Marriott card.  I hate that it’s only good for 6 months (without asking them to extend it).  My 6 months is always in the winter when I travel the least. (I tend to hibernate in the winter).

Marriott Cat 1-5 annual certificate issued after last spring will valid for one year, positive change on reward program is few and far in between, this is one of them

Category creep has made it quite difficult to redeem these certs lately. Over the past 2-3 years Marriott has had a lot of properties move up categories, even moreso than most of their major competitors (HH & IHG).

It would be easier if they awarded a flat amount of bonus points per year for retention purposes.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 23 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will get a QS Visa in Apr so I can combine Venture with it before AF hits.  I'll combine QS's in Apr as well after CLI's hit.

All my IIB's fall off EQ & EX by July (trying EE's), so expect a nice bump and plan on getting AMEX BCE w/$250 bonus at that time.  Will 3xCLI as often as allowed.  Never had an AMEX and BCE is the best fit for my spend and goals.

Will garden after that until 7/17, when my BK falls off.  By keeping new cards and inq's down, I should be in a good position to join PenFed and get Promise, Rewards Sig Visa and PLOC with decent SL's.

Message 24 of 35
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@masscredit wrote:

What are your goals and do you have a reason for them? 

None at the moment.  I have cards that are well suited to me and haven't seen anything that would really benefit me for quite some time now.

Message 25 of 35
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Goals:

(1)  Once I emerge from the garden once more, continue looking for the ever-elusive cards that offer single-digit interest rates plus rewards.

(2)  Get more SP CLIs (have had modest success so far last year, in that regard).

(3)  Pay off as much cc debt as possible, and avoid incurring new debt.

(4)  Maximize the use of rewards cards, at least to the point where rewards received either pays off or mostly pays interest accrued.

(5)  Continue to try to have existing VISAs and MCs converted into VS and WMC/WEMC (gained 2 VS in 2015, one WEMC).

Message 26 of 35
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

1. Credit score.

2. Make as much money as I can with normal spend.

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 27 of 35
sunkissed
Established Contributor

@noobody wrote:

@sunkissed wrote:

Thanks, noobody!  I hadn't noticed the change in policy.  I just checked my account and sure enough my free night expires a year from issue.  I'm a little less salty about it now. Smiley Happy

NFCU Flagship $32K | NFCU Cashrewards $42K | Discover IT $39K | SECU Visa $20K | Chase SW $24k | CSR $15K | Chase Bonvoy $11.5K | Chase Freedom $11.5K | Chase Amazon Visa 8.5K | AMEX Bonvoy $18.1K | AMEX Hilton Surpass $15K | AMEX Hilton Aspire $24.4K | AMEX Gold | Aviator Red $16K | Uber Visa 10k | Citi TY Premier $24.6K | BoA Premium Rewards 35k | BoA Cash Rewards Visa $31.5k | BoA Cash Rewards MC $23k | US Bank Cash+ $10k | USAA AMEX $6K | Cap1QS $11K | BJs MC $27.6K | Walmart MC $5.1K | Loft MC $25,000 | Macy’s Store/Amex $20K/$1K | BR Visa $10K | JCP $1K | VS $3.2K | Home Depot $5K | Lowes $8.5K | Target $14.5k
Message 28 of 35
sunkissed
Established Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

@noobody wrote:

@sunkissed wrote:

Category creep has made it quite difficult to redeem these certs lately. Over the past 2-3 years Marriott has had a lot of properties move up categories, even moreso than most of their major competitors (HH & IHG).

It would be easier if they awarded a flat amount of bonus points per year for retention purposes.

I would be over the moon if they just awarded points!  Way more flexible than trying to pick a night at the ever-shrinking pool of Cat 1-5 Marriotts.

NFCU Flagship $32K | NFCU Cashrewards $42K | Discover IT $39K | SECU Visa $20K | Chase SW $24k | CSR $15K | Chase Bonvoy $11.5K | Chase Freedom $11.5K | Chase Amazon Visa 8.5K | AMEX Bonvoy $18.1K | AMEX Hilton Surpass $15K | AMEX Hilton Aspire $24.4K | AMEX Gold | Aviator Red $16K | Uber Visa 10k | Citi TY Premier $24.6K | BoA Premium Rewards 35k | BoA Cash Rewards Visa $31.5k | BoA Cash Rewards MC $23k | US Bank Cash+ $10k | USAA AMEX $6K | Cap1QS $11K | BJs MC $27.6K | Walmart MC $5.1K | Loft MC $25,000 | Macy’s Store/Amex $20K/$1K | BR Visa $10K | JCP $1K | VS $3.2K | Home Depot $5K | Lowes $8.5K | Target $14.5k
Message 29 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@galahad15 wrote:

Goals:

(1)  Once I emerge from the garden once more, continue looking for the ever-elusive cards that offer single-digit interest rates plus rewards.

(2)  Get more SP CLIs (have had modest success so far last year, in that regard).

(3)  Pay off as much cc debt as possible, and avoid incurring new debt.

(4)  Maximize the use of rewards cards, at least to the point where rewards received either pays off or mostly pays interest accrued.

(5)  Continue to try to have existing VISAs and MCs converted into VS and WMC/WEMC (gained 2 VS in 2015, one WEMC).

ok there u are. You are the one with the unicorn card!  I love your focus on interest.

I also would be ELATED to have your APR on a DC...but something tells me that for the average joe its not possible. I think this was a card that you had converted?  Or maybe I am confused. I think even though the APR range for DC is 13.24-23.24 you can still get reductions, right?

So what is on your radar right now galahad15?

Message 30 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.