Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit card hold at gas station

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit card hold at gas station

I mostly only look at my statements once a month to keep things simple, so maybe I just never noticed.  I have at times logged in to see the $1 charge sometimes that's about it.  I'm really blown away by this how can they do this without causing people to overdraw their accounts for people who are pushing the limits dollar for dollar, crazyness.

Message 41 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm guilty of checking my accts almost daily. 😖
The problem it does cause people to overdraw accts. Being poor sucks!
Message 42 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here in Small town its the type of card that cause the hold. Amex is always $100, regardless where, CApt 1 QS $1  regardless where

Message 43 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Here in Small town its the type of card that cause the hold. Amex is always $100, regardless where, CApt 1 QS $1  regardless where

Doesn't do that to me when I use my AMEX at the QT... Maybe in your town, but not in the DFW metroplex...

Message 44 of 60
TheVig
Regular Contributor

Being poor is expensive. Going through life with low limit cards or maxed out cards is no way to go through life. If a temporary fuel hold is impacting you, then you have cash flow issues or still rebuilding.

I've seen people check into hotels, only to turn around and be in a financial meltdown because of a large hold placed by the hotel on debit cards especially.
Message 45 of 60
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@TheVig wrote:
Being poor is expensive. Going through life with low limit cards or maxed out cards is no way to go through life. If a temporary fuel hold is impacting you, then you have cash flow issues or still rebuilding.

I've seen people check into hotels, only to turn around and be in a financial meltdown because of a large hold placed by the hotel on debit cards especially.

Big +1.

Not that long ago this described me well; when you only have debit (or a low-CL credit card) you spend a lot of energy worrying about (and working around) things that many of us take for granted.

I am pleased that most gas pumps now have very visible notices stating that a hold in excess of the actual purchase is possible.  This wasn't always the case... and it was a harsh lesson to learn "the hard way". 

Message 46 of 60
ilovelisa
Established Contributor

7-Eleven has had a $50 hold on my ICBC UnionPay since 4/10. I couldn't even get gas with it. Put the card in and it said invalid card but pre-authorized for $50 anyway. Weird.

Amex BCE $10,000 | BofA Power Rewards WMC $10,000 | Discover It $10,000 | ICBC Preferred Gold UnionPay $8,000 | Local CU Visa $3,500
Message 47 of 60
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Local Costco loves putting 150$ holds on all gas purchases... end up using debit most of the time.. Fortunately now I have options... 

Also my bank charges 2$ for using my debit card at costco (fortunately they too are no longer my primary bank)

Message 48 of 60
dlm0820
Contributor

@TheVig wrote:

+ Infinity.

Being poor is very expensive.  I've been down that road and had to use debit cards ALOT back in the day.

It was sucky when I went to a hotel or had to rent a car and they put a $250 or more hold on my account which usually lasted a week or more.

I agree with Vig, keep rebuilding and figure out your cash flow so you don't have to worry about how a hold on your card is going to affect you financially.

Message 49 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dlm0820 wrote:

@TheVig wrote:

+ Infinity.

Being poor is very expensive.  I've been down that road and had to use debit cards ALOT back in the day.

It was sucky when I went to a hotel or had to rent a car and they put a $250 or more hold on my account which usually lasted a week or more.

I agree with Vig, keep rebuilding and figure out your cash flow so you don't have to worry about how a hold on your card is going to affect you financially.

I've been there too. For the last few years, because my car was so old and junky that it really wasn't safe to drive out of town for long distances, when I wanted to go on long road trips - usually at the holidays - I had to rent a car, and because I didn't have a credit card then, I had to put down a $200 deposit (I used Enterprise). Now that I have a decent late-model car (an ex-rental from Enterprise!) that's been well-maintained and in excellent running order, and a couple of credit cards with decent SL's, that's something I'll hopefully never have to worry about again...

Message 50 of 60
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.