Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit card hold at gas station

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit card hold at gas station

Ahhh... The days of old... I remember knowing which gas stations only held $1 for auth. I'd need gas 2 days before payday and I'd go there with my debit card only having about 1.50 on it and filling up, then the charge would hit the same day my direct deposit would...

I'm still poor, but I know how to manage what I do have and not dig those holes...
Message 51 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

+1. Arco in california used to have a debit card linked to checking account. The ACH was behind 1 to 3 days. I used the heck out of that one
Message 52 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

Typically the hold amount is set by the issuer of the card not so much the vendor but some vendors do , as in a hotel may auth enough for 2 nights and incidentals so they don't get played etc...

However, specifically with at the pump issues many times it is the card issuer

Back in 90 with the 1st CU I worked at it was $40, when gas was way cheaper of as a kid I ask Why we need it and what happens is once the auth goes through the card issuer wants to make sure.youve got enough available to fill up either your Yugo or SUV

That's why it has slowly gone UP has gas prices and the size of the boats we drive.

Example
USAA auth $100 when I use my card it's a them thing not the gas station, it's normally the CARD that auth

Because the issuer doesn't know if the transaction they just auth is going to be $5 or $58 bucks worth of gas, so they just auth high and wait for the batch from the vendor....Sort if like how when they run your CC at dinner, most cards auth an additional amount just in case you care to tip buy the actual amount charged won't really happen till the restaurant batches out.

When you go inside, it's an actual charge right then and there no open end like at the pump or a restaurant tab....

Just quirks set up years ago that make guesses at what we're gonna do

At Motel 6 they charge you at Check-in and it's a wrap at a nice Hotel they auth and hit you up at the end.

This is why some Rental car places don't mess around with Debit cards or if they do they ask for large deposits ....
You can auth say $500 on your Debit for a rental, then proceed to the ATM and take out the cash and Avis is SCREWED, of many banks will just overdraw you because they auth it and you will owe a $35 overdraft fee as your loan fee
This will result in your account being closed probably much quicker today but ppl used to do it for 'payday' loans all the time.

Back in the 90's before the whole scan your checks and cash into the ATM, every weekend somebody would deposit "air" into the ATM and lend themselves a few bucks over the weekend because back then it was just assumed if Mr Jones came to the ATM and punched in that he deposited a $500 check in his checking that indeed would be what would be in the envelope when it was opened on Monday...Yeah, right? Not every Mr Jones but believe it or not much ppl just didn't think to scam, there was always a few but all in all still a very small % of ppl figured they could deposit a blank piece of paper and punch in whatever they wanted.

Today the ATM actually reads the writing on the check and counts the cash no envelope, works better for both the bank and the public, unless you need a few hundred from the track😉
Message 53 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

Funny you should mention Avis... I worked the counter when debit cards first came on the scene and Avis wouldn't accept them, period. Just for that reason. Later on, they started to accept them and ran into the problems you described, but they still take them.

Frankly, as easy as it is to get even a simple secured card these days, I fail to see why people are stubbornly holding on to that archaic card!!

Dave Ramsey needs to shut up!!!

PS, Hertz holds $200 over on credit and 500 on debit... Go figure...

Message 54 of 60
TheVig
Regular Contributor

As far as rental cars are concerned. People shouldn't travel broke. Here's looking at you Spirit Airlines customers who get stranded at an airport for a few days because they cancel a flight and you don't even have money for food.

Message 55 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TheVig wrote:
As far as rental cars are concerned. People shouldn't travel broke. Here's looking at you Spirit Airlines customers who get stranded at an airport for a few days because they cancel a flight and you don't even have money for food.

I hear of people trashing Spirit... Guess I've been lucky, but then again, it is the Greyhound of the skies...

Message 56 of 60
joltdude
Senior Contributor

I don't know if anyone here has had the experience of the Fung Wah Bus from Boston to NYC.. Its the stuff of legends...

I have been on that bus a few times when it was in existance..... Oh my... The infamous chinatown express... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeAvRRo5ANU

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fung_Wah_Bus_Transportation

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jul/17/fung-wah-new-york-city-worst-bus-company and what they didnt tell folks

https://reason.com/blog/2015/07/17/peter-pans-revenge-fung-wah-closed-bus

But I did what I had to, to go visit friends in NYC on a shoestring budget... Makes Greyhound look good... BTW in MA and surrounding... Peter Pan is contracted with Greyhound and usually has newer and updated buses vs greyhound and the tickets used to be interchangable.... Not sure how it is now...

Message 57 of 60
TheVig
Regular Contributor

Not too many years back a asian ran bus line based here in Charlotte crashed a bus in Richmond on its way to NYC.

All kinds of safety violations. Not to mention lack of sleep for the bus driver.

If I need to take a cheap seat to simply visit friends, then I don't need to go.

Subprime mode of transportation with passengers of subprime finances just screams disaster waiting to happen.
Message 58 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

Live life on the edge!! Hell, if the plane goes down, at least I wouldn't care about the no-smoking rule... Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!!!
Message 59 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TheVig wrote:

People shouldn't do a lot of things, but sometimes life leaves you little choice.....I try not to assume or judge because you never know what position someone may be in. While I am blessed and fortunate now, but a decade ago, it was a different story. I know what broke feels and looks like. 

(I'm not talking spending rent to buy an outfit "bad decision", but having to choose to see a sick relative close to passing the best way you can). 

Message 60 of 60
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.