Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Frequent Contributor

Re: Credit card hold at gas station

OMG I was wondering the same thing -- is this regional? Because in the metro DC area, it's just a $1 preauthorization charge, which disappears within 24 hours.

Starting all over again until 12-8-2018.
NFCU Sig $16.5K || Discover IT $5K || Macy's $5K || NFCU Plat $4K || Chase FU $4K || CitiCostco $4K || CitiDC $3.3K || Chase Slate $1K || NFCU CLOC $1K
Established Contributor

I have found that Shell always holds $100 if I pay at the pump, QT and RaceTrac are both $1. 

Memories though... I remember back when I only had a debit card, In Texas DFW area, I always used RaceTrac and they held $1. I went on a vacation to see a friend of mine in Phoenix, needed to put a little gas in his truck and just paid at the pump like usual, was looking at my account online right before I went to go rent a car for the road trip we were going to do and found a $100 hold on there!!! I was furious!!! I bought $5 worth of gas and they torpedoed my entire trip because now I didn't have enough to cover the rental car (they had a high hold policy themselves) I had planned to get later in the day...

Now that I have gobs of available credit, it doesn't bother me, but I feel sorry for the millions of people that have to deal with things like that... Such a racket!!

Regular Contributor

I have seen stickers on gas pumps that address this. The stickers say that it is not the station but the banks who are putting a hold on. I always thought that sounded wrong, not after read this thread I am fairly sure those stickers are wrong. I know most say don't us gas only cards, but this for me is another reason I keep a few and use them. They can put a hold on my BP gas card, chances are it will be two weeks until I need gas again, and even at $100 I have several fill ups to go. Also I don't worry about skimmers, since a gas only card isn't worth it, and most now give 2-5 cents off per gallon so I still realize some savings.

Super Contributor

Informative thread. In my area of the country my American Express gets hit for $100 or $75 hold for $6 dollars worth of gas every time. When I use my Holiday Gas Card they give me $0.05 cents a gallon off at the pump and 5% off of most grocery items. Otherwise I see the $1 hold for three days.
Starting Score: 848
Current Score: 829
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
New Contributor

Costco is refreshingly up front about this, which is another reason (apart from their price on regular unleaded being the lowest in town, and the fact that they sell Top Tier gasoline which is recommended for my particular make/model). They have stickers on all their pumps stating that they will put a temporary hold on debit cards for the greater of $100 or the cost of the gasoline pumped, and that when the pumping is done, an immediate (the word is bolded on the sticker) notification will be sent to the bank to unlock the hold; after that, it's up to the bank to process the transaction.

Rebuilding credit since 2015 (BK filed 8/14, discharged 12/14) - started out in 570's, now approaching 700 (FICO 4/17:TU 627/EX 662/EQ 659 FICO 8 or 690 NG 2, VS 3.0 4/21/17: TU 684/EX 685/EQ 691)! $951 Cap One secured/$3000 Cap One unsecured/$800 Amazon Prime Store Card/$2500 Discover It (NEW 03-21-17)/$10k PenFed used car loan/$5k Navient student loan. In the garden until Sept. 2017 unless I get an offer I can't possibly refuse...
Regular Contributor

I was just wondering about this. I used my discover at the pump on the 17th. There was an immmeiate 1.00 pending charge. As of today that is still there and the actual amount I pumped has not even shown up. Not even as a pending charge. Thankfully my hold is only 1.00. 

Gardening from 12/2016 to 1/2018
12/16 - Fico 8 Exp 739 /CK Fako - 12/16 TU 698 EQ 709 - 12/16 at 4 INQs EX EQ TU****Cap One Sec - 500/Cap One QS1 -2000/Disco It - 3000/HSN - 3000/New York Com - 750/Victoria Secret - 1000/Kohls - 800
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Everyone is thinking it is the bank, but it's not.

It is actually the gas station's discretionary hold, and it varies depending on the card. Debit cards, for example, will often get higher holds (and declines if the balance isn't high enough), and a prepaid card may get a hold for $100 or the entire balance of the gift card, with some arbitrary absolute minumum like $25 that it would decline the card. This is all the gas station avoiding loss from chargebacks, or fraud ($1 hold on a $5 balance gift card for example, and then a decline to process the whole amount of like $30).

My best advice is to find gas stations that still only put a $1 hold at the pump on credit cards AND debit cards.

Shell is the only gas station near me that puts the $99 hold. 

EX08 659 EQ08 660 TU08 695 Starting: mid 300'sGoal: 700
Established Member

[ Edited ]
What gas station hold 1.00 pending charge?

Established Contributor

I'm near Philly and typically holds do not occur unless I get gas at one of the grocery store chain stations (for example Giant puts a $100 hold on my CC each time). Anywhere else I get gas, Wawa, Sunoco, Costco, Shell I never notice a hold placed. So weird!

Daily Driver: Amex BCE- $18,500
EQ: 721 TU: 716 EX: 689
Valued Contributor

Just tested this morning. Paid inside instead of at the pump. Same Amex card. NO HOLD!
That's what I'll be doing from now on!
My Cards:
American Express PRG-American Express BCE-Chase United Mileage Explorer-Chase Amazon

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.