Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Established Contributor

Re: Credit card hold at gas station

I mostly only look at my statements once a month to keep things simple, so maybe I just never noticed.  I have at times logged in to see the $1 charge sometimes that's about it.  I'm really blown away by this how can they do this without causing people to overdraw their accounts for people who are pushing the limits dollar for dollar, crazyness.

Established Contributor

I'm guilty of checking my accts almost daily. 😖
The problem it does cause people to overdraw accts. Being poor sucks!
Frequent Contributor

Here in Small town its the type of card that cause the hold. Amex is always $100, regardless where, CApt 1 QS $1  regardless where

Established Contributor

Backwoods wrote:

Here in Small town its the type of card that cause the hold. Amex is always $100, regardless where, CApt 1 QS $1  regardless where

Doesn't do that to me when I use my AMEX at the QT... Maybe in your town, but not in the DFW metroplex...

Valued Member

Being poor is expensive. Going through life with low limit cards or maxed out cards is no way to go through life. If a temporary fuel hold is impacting you, then you have cash flow issues or still rebuilding.

I've seen people check into hotels, only to turn around and be in a financial meltdown because of a large hold placed by the hotel on debit cards especially.

[ Edited ]

TheVig wrote:
Being poor is expensive. Going through life with low limit cards or maxed out cards is no way to go through life. If a temporary fuel hold is impacting you, then you have cash flow issues or still rebuilding.

I've seen people check into hotels, only to turn around and be in a financial meltdown because of a large hold placed by the hotel on debit cards especially.

Big +1.

Not that long ago this described me well; when you only have debit (or a low-CL credit card) you spend a lot of energy worrying about (and working around) things that many of us take for granted.

I am pleased that most gas pumps now have very visible notices stating that a hold in excess of the actual purchase is possible.  This wasn't always the case... and it was a harsh lesson to learn "the hard way". 

Established Contributor

7-Eleven has had a $50 hold on my ICBC UnionPay since 4/10. I couldn't even get gas with it. Put the card in and it said invalid card but pre-authorized for $50 anyway. Weird.

Amex BCE $10,000 | BofA Power Rewards WMC $10,000 | Discover It $10,000 | ICBC Preferred Gold UnionPay $8,000 | Local CU Visa $3,500
Valued Contributor

Local Costco loves putting 150$ holds on all gas purchases... end up using debit most of the time.. Fortunately now I have options... 

Also my bank charges 2$ for using my debit card at costco (fortunately they too are no longer my primary bank)

Contributor

TheVig wrote:

+ Infinity.

Being poor is very expensive.  I've been down that road and had to use debit cards ALOT back in the day.

It was sucky when I went to a hotel or had to rent a car and they put a $250 or more hold on my account which usually lasted a week or more.

I agree with Vig, keep rebuilding and figure out your cash flow so you don't have to worry about how a hold on your card is going to affect you financially.

Contributor

dlm0820 wrote:

TheVig wrote:

+ Infinity.

Being poor is very expensive.  I've been down that road and had to use debit cards ALOT back in the day.

It was sucky when I went to a hotel or had to rent a car and they put a $250 or more hold on my account which usually lasted a week or more.

I agree with Vig, keep rebuilding and figure out your cash flow so you don't have to worry about how a hold on your card is going to affect you financially.

I've been there too. For the last few years, because my car was so old and junky that it really wasn't safe to drive out of town for long distances, when I wanted to go on long road trips - usually at the holidays - I had to rent a car, and because I didn't have a credit card then, I had to put down a $200 deposit (I used Enterprise). Now that I have a decent late-model car (an ex-rental from Enterprise!) that's been well-maintained and in excellent running order, and a couple of credit cards with decent SL's, that's something I'll hopefully never have to worry about again...

Rebuilding credit since 2015 (BK filed 8/14, discharged 12/14) - started out in 570's, now approaching 700 (FICO 5/12:TU 640/EX 675/EQ 659 FICO 8 or 690 NG 2, VS 3.0 4/21/17: TU 683/EX 685/EQ 691)! $951 Cap One secured/$3000 Cap One unsecured/$800 Amazon Prime Store Card/$2500 Discover It )/$4000 Overstock Store Card/$10k PenFed used car loan/$5k Navient student loan. Back in the garden until Sept. 2017 unless I get an offer I can't possibly refuse...

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.