cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit card mailings.....what do they mean?

tag
kskajohnson
Established Member

Credit card mailings.....what do they mean?

I don't have a whole lot of experience in delving into various credit card apps and mailings but I am curious....as I've posted in a previous thread, I am closing on my first house next week and after I get that all taken care of, I was looking forward to closing my Capital One Secured Card that I've had for 3+ years (perfect payment history, low useage) to get my deposit back and open up HOPEFULLY an unsecured card now that I've rebuilt my credit. 

I've recently been recieving mailings and today I received one from Discover with an "invitation" number and a reply by March 30th timestamp....do those mean anything or are those just standard spam type mailings?  I just don't know if that means I stand a greater chance of being approved with them or what exactly it means (if anything).  

Any help would be great....

Thanks!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Credit card mailings.....what do they mean?

Theyre never 100% certain, but Discover is usually good with approving with an invitation like that.
Message 2 of 4
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@kskajohnson wrote:

I don't have a whole lot of experience in delving into various credit card apps and mailings but I am curious....as I've posted in a previous thread, I am closing on my first house next week and after I get that all taken care of, I was looking forward to closing my Capital One Secured Card that I've had for 3+ years (perfect payment history, low useage) to get my deposit back and open up HOPEFULLY an unsecured card now that I've rebuilt my credit. 

I've recently been recieving mailings and today I received one from Discover with an "invitation" number and a reply by March 30th timestamp....do those mean anything or are those just standard spam type mailings?  I just don't know if that means I stand a greater chance of being approved with them or what exactly it means (if anything).  

Any help would be great....

Thanks!

In general, credit offers received in the mail mean that you meet certain minimum data points for that particular mailing demographic. As an example, if your neighborhood's credit profile matches some algorithm the lender has created, the lender will saturate that particular area with offers. Other times, the mailings may very well be targeted to specific individuals. Either way, it is never a guarantee of approval. The best of luck to you if you decide to apply.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 3 of 4
mirachi
Regular Contributor

I'd double check online for pre-quals from them too~

Getting the letter just means you're good credit score wise...income, inq, baddies etc come into play when you actually apply

I just realized yesterday that they (chase at least) have a disclaimer in the back stating something like you could be approved, or you could not

Last app 5/7/2014

No apps until 3/31/2016!
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.