Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit card purchase question

tag
myficomatt
Regular Contributor

Credit card purchase question

I've just opened an account with NFCU, and I'm going to make a purchase.  I'm going to buy a computer that would be roughly 50-55% of the limit.  I'd rather not get it that high so soon.  I do have cash that I was intending on putting into it as well.  Could I make a payment of $300 before I make the purchase?  Would that bring my limit over $300?  

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
bostonte
Frequent Contributor

Re: Credit card purchase question

With Navy a credit balance won't change your available limit. For example if you have a $0 balance, a $1000 limit, and pay $500. It will show balance as ($500.00). Available credit $1000. If you then made a $500 purchase it would show $500 available credit while the purchase was pending. Only after the purchase posts will the credit balance effect things. It will go right to $0 balance and your available credit will go back to $1000.
Message 2 of 4
myficomatt
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the information.  Using the figures that you mentioned, I have a question.  If I made the $500, would they report that the highest balance I've had is $500?  Or would it still be $0? 

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

They would report the $500 as high balance, but then report actual balance as your "balance."  So if you pay it down or off prior to statement, then you will not have a high util reported.

txjohn

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.