Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit card question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit card question

Do credit card companies dislike when you only use their cards for the extra rewards? For instance, I have recently been approved for the Chase Freedom card and Barclays Sallie Mae MasterCard. Would Barclays and Chase retaliate -- --- for example, lowering my credit limit -- if they noticed that I only used their cards on the 5% categories? I have a Quicksilver card that I was planning on using on everything else that doesn't fit into the Freedom or Sallie Mae categories, but I don't want to alienate Chase and Barclays (both of whom were very nice to give me great cards in the first place with my subpar credit).

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Credit card question

@Anonymous wrote:

Do credit card companies dislike when you only use their cards for the extra rewards? For instance, I have recently been approved for the Chase Freedom card and Barclays Sallie Mae MasterCard. Would Barclays and Chase retaliate -- --- for example, lowering my credit limit -- if they noticed that I only used their cards on the 5% categories? I have a Quicksilver card that I was planning on using on everything else that doesn't fit into the Freedom or Sallie Mae categories, but I don't want to alienate Chase and Barclays (both of whom were very nice to give me great cards in the first place with my subpar credit).

Anything is possible I guess but I don't recall any stories abiut such retaliation by CCC's.

Message 2 of 11
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

All companies like to see high usage and high payments because they want to make money too. However i dont think a company will frown upon you for using one card over the other. I use my cards depending on what the category and place im going is. Like dining - CSP, category - disc. or freedom...etc. No problems yet
BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sure CCCs know people obtain certain products they offer for their rewards so I don't really see them retaliating for only using the CC for bigger reward bonuses. I would think its more important that youre actually using the card rather than just having it sit there unused.

I usually use my Freedom at gas stations during the 5% period and when i don't get that 5% i use the EDP since i get 2x points.

Message 4 of 11
uswala
Senior Contributor

@Skye12329 wrote:
All companies like to see high usage and high payments because they want to make money too. However i dont think a company will frown upon you for using one card over the other. I use my cards depending on what the category and place im going is. Like dining - CSP, category - disc. or freedom...etc. No problems yet

I do the same and have not had any issues yet.

Message 5 of 11
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Skye12329 wrote:

I'm not so sure you can make such a generalization.

My Discover (19,500 CL), Citi (10,1450) , and Cap 1 (9,000 ) cards all have less than $50 auto charged to them each month and I can't remember the last time I paid any interest. I've been doing that for years.

Message 6 of 11
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@Skye12329 wrote:

My Discover (19,500 CL), Citi (10,1450) , and Cap 1 (9,000 ) cards all have less than $50 auto charged to them each month and I can't remember the last time I paid any interest. I've been doing that for years.

Oh i didnt mean Interest Wise, i thought companies made money off of card swipe fees? Or is that only the brands that make those fees? 

BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd not really worry about it. I use cards almost exclusively for their max rewards categories. I tend to use the CSP as my general spending card for dining/travel (don't have cash+ or a 5% dining card yet and I value 2x chase points at around 3%) and the Citi DoubleCash as an anything else card. Cards like Sallie Mae, Discover, etc that have 5% and 1% categories are almost exclusively used only for 5% categories. I have occasionally charged something on the wrong card, especially with online subscriptions or through paypal, but I don't make a habit of it. I don't think the CCCs are frowning upon me and I have not heard of them taking action against those who try and optimize rewards.

Message 8 of 11
Chris679
Established Contributor

OP, these companies make money off of every swipe so you don't have to worry about making them happy because they are raking in billions. Use the cards however you want (responsibly of course) and let them worry about keeping you happy. Don't forget you are the customer not the other way around.
Message 9 of 11
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Skye12329 wrote:

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@Skye12329 wrote:

Oh i didnt mean Interest Wise, i thought companies made money off of card swipe fees? Or is that only the brands that make those fees? 

Ah I misunderstood. I apologize.

Yes CCC's do make money off swipe fees.. No doubt about that!

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.