Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit card receipts

tag
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

Credit card receipts

There used to be a time when I would check off my card’s receipts on the monthly statement and see if there were any entries not accounted for. That changed with online statements that don’t lend themselves easily to be written on, so I have settled for if any large amount raises an eyebrow. But since they never seem to, maybe it’s simply time to stop accepting receipts from stores. Is that the general trend?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit card receipts

Pretty much. Many places don't even require a signature for purchases under $50 or so. Printed receipts for everyday purchases are generally a waste of paper and hassle to keep around. For large purchases and/or for business (ie. reimbursement for motel, fuel, meals, etc), printed receipts are often still worthwhile.

Some card issuers offer email notifications for purchases. And likewise, many retailers, mostly those utilizing Square, PayPal Here, etc portable card readers will send an email receipt.

Message 2 of 14
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous-own-fico wrote:

There used to be a time when I would check off my card’s receipts on the monthly statement and see if there were any entries not accounted for. That changed with online statements that don’t lend themselves easily to be written on, so I have settled for if any large amount raises an eyebrow. But since they never seem to, maybe it’s simply time to stop accepting receipts from stores. Is that the general trend?

It might be for some folks, but in most situations I still really like my receipt, even if I discard it myself later the same day.  I'm very particular with receiving a receipt for pay-at-the-pump gas; while it's never happened I would be mortified if I were to be accused of driving off without paying (yeah, I know, what are the chances...)

I guess it's just that there have been a few times were having the old-fashioned paper receipt really saved my bacon, and I don't want to put myself at the mercy of a merchant's POS system if I need to make a return. 

If there were to be a difference in the amount of the original charge and the amount on your statement having an original paper receipt could be critical.  Also, a real-world example is the time I was told by a gas attendant (I was in New Jersey which requires full service) that I needed to pay inside because my debit card didn't work; I went inside and paid with the same card (which worked fine).  When I got my bank statement BOTH charges were there.  I disputed, and the merchant actually fought my dispute, claiming that the purchase inside the station was for merchandise in addition to paying for my fuel outside (the purchases being the exact same dollar amount didn't seem to make the merchant curious).  Luckly for me, I had the PAPER copy of my 'inside' receipt, which specified "Fuel", and I won the dispute.  The dispute had to be handled by snail-mail, and It took over a month for my bank to credit the money back to my checking account; thank goodness it was only a small amount.  This is also the reason to this day I won't use debit unless absolutely necessary. 

All this being said, I think I'll keep my paper receipts.

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not so good with paper.  I always wound up stuffing the receipt in my purse where it would stay until I had to clean the purse out and of course it would wind up out with the trash.  I love that I get text messages for all my credit card purchases, the only clothes store that ever gave me option of email receipts was Macys.  Starbucks always just asked me did I need the receipt and I would say no. 

Message 4 of 14
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

I dunno if it's a 'general trend', but it sure isn't for me, I always get a receipt. I then use the receipt to enter the purchase into Quicken so when I download the monthly PDF stgatement it's very easy to reconcile the statement and ensure there's no bogus charges. And I occiasionally have problems with Safeway and having a receipt is very important. Last year when I checked over a receipt before entering it into Quicken I noticed the clerk had charged my twice for the same cut of meat. Took the receipt the next time I went and pointed out what were the chances of buying 2 cuts of beef with the exact same weight & price and was given instant credit. Worked out to their advantage though as I then I started checking the receipt before leaving the store - Safeway has a 10% discount on wine & spirits by buying 6 'mix & match', so I'll buy maybe four 5 liter boxes of wine and a couple bottles of booze, lasts for months and doesn't go bad. I usually put just one of the boxes of wine on the checkout belt since they don't bag it and when the clerk gets to it I point out "I have 4 boxes of the Chardonnay" and point to the 3 still in the cart. Well earlier this year I was talking to someone else in the checkout and forgot to tell the clerk about the other boxes of wine in the cart and she didn't notice them. I get just outside the exit and checked the receipt and thought "wait, why is it so low" and realized I didn't get charged for the 3 boxes of wine. I literally had an angel on one shoulder telling me to do the right thing and go back inside and pay for them, and a devil on the other shoulder telling me "don't be a schmuck, get to your car, quick!". The angel won, I went back in and paid for them, the clerk was very grateful. 

Message 5 of 14
eddie84
Valued Contributor

My wife keeps receipts for everything. lol  I'm the one who has to shred them all later. Smiley IndifferentSmiley Tongue

So nope, no paper receipts for me. Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 14
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@DaveInAZ wrote:

I dunno if it's a 'general trend', but it sure isn't for me, I always get a receipt. I then use the receipt to enter the purchase into Quicken so when I download the monthly PDF stgatement it's very easy to reconcile the statement and ensure there's no bogus charges. And I occiasionally have problems with Safeway and having a receipt is very important. Last year when I checked over a receipt before entering it into Quicken I noticed the clerk had charged my twice for the same cut of meat. Took the receipt the next time I went and pointed out what were the chances of buying 2 cuts of beef with the exact same weight & price and was given instant credit. Worked out to their advantage though as I then I started checking the receipt before leaving the store - Safeway has a 10% discount on wine & spirits by buying 6 'mix & match', so I'll buy maybe four 5 liter boxes of wine and a couple bottles of booze, lasts for months and doesn't go bad. I usually put just one of the boxes of wine on the checkout belt since they don't bag it and when the clerk gets to it I point out "I have 4 boxes of the Chardonnay" and point to the 3 still in the cart. Well earlier this year I was talking to someone else in the checkout and forgot to tell the clerk about the other boxes of wine in the cart and she didn't notice them. I get just outside the exit and checked the receipt and thought "wait, why is it so low" and realized I didn't get charged for the 3 boxes of wine. I literally had an angel on one shoulder telling me to do the right thing and go back inside and pay for them, and a devil on the other shoulder telling me "don't be a schmuck, get to your car, quick!". The angel won, I went back in and paid for them, the clerk was very grateful. 

You're definitely not a schmuck... I would have done the same thing, and so would most decent folks. 

I've also had things ring up wrong at the grocery store.  It was nothing malicious, but there are so many look-up codes for produce I'm actually amazed it doesn't happen more often.  The couple of times it happened my paper receipt allowed me to get a prompt refund for the difference on my next trip, along with a sincere apology.  The amount was relatively low, though, so without having an itemized receipt to look over I never would have noticed.

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Defiantely not a general trend... I keep all my receipts and review to make sure the prices noted on items paid for match.  I have notice the groceries stores especially will list a price on something and when you go check out, they charge you something different.  Doesn't fly with me.

I review and if I see a discrepancy, I go back.  So I must ALWAYS have a receipt.

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DaveInAZ wrote:

Here I was talking about how receipts are a hassle to me and I just checked my receipt for groceries I had today(decided to check my pocketbook) and I realized that I didn't get charged for the blueberries I brought.  I'm going back to the store to pay for it.  This also happened to me in Walmart.  I did the self service and was doing to many things, the security guy didn't notice but I noticed that I didn't pay for my cereal and ran back in.  They were really shocked that I just didn't take it. 

Message 9 of 14
Callandra
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@DaveInAZ wrote:

Here I was talking about how receipts are a hassle to me and I just checked my receipt for groceries I had today(decided to check my pocketbook) and I realized that I didn't get charged for the blueberries I brought.  I'm going back to the store to pay for it.  This also happened to me in Walmart.  I did the self service and was doing to many things, the security guy didn't notice but I noticed that I didn't pay for my cereal and ran back in.  They were really shocked that I just didn't take it. 

This happened to my fiance and me a few months ago at Wal-Mart. We gave the cashier the water (a 24 pack of Pure LIfe) to scan and it beeped like it scanned but then when we were on our way out, I looked over the receipt and I saw it didn't scan. I promptly dragged him over to the Customer Service desk so we could pay for it. Drove him nuts. Smiley Very Happy

When I was a cashier at Target, one time a woman brought up some big storage tubs to be rung out and then she put them on the counter and said she didn't pay for them last time and to please put them back. She just wanted to pay for them. It was nice that she did that. Smiley Happy

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.