Credit card suggestions? Help appreciated

My transunion is at 753.

Currently I have 

NFCU:13k

Citi Foward:7.2k

JCP: 4.2k

Discover:3.5k

Chase freedom:1k

Amex znyc( thinking about canceling this)

I think I should maybe apply for one or two more and let things grow since I'm going to start grad school soon. I want to cancel the amex due to the anual fee.  Any suggestions?

.Believe.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
OptimasPrime
Frequent Contributor

Re: Credit card suggestions? Help appreciated

It couldn't hurt to try for an Amex revolver. Soft pull if denied and you get the backdating. Then you could cancel the Zync afterwards/right before the af hits.

EQ 778 | TU 776
Barclay US Airways WMC 7.5k | BCE 5.8k | BofA Travel Rewards 9.1k | Chase Marriott Premier 13k | Citi TYP WMC 6.5k | Freedom Visa Sig 8k| Discover it 10k
Message 2 of 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

I would suggest an Amex BCE if you're looking at cancelling the Zync.  No sense bailing on the Amex relationship while in grad school I think.

        
Message 3 of 8
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@OptimasPrime wrote:

It couldn't hurt to try for an Amex revolver. Soft pull if denied and you get the backdating. Then you could cancel the Zync afterwards/right before the af hits.

I agree, take a look at their revolving cards and try it! Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 8
Gh0st
Contributor

I was thinking about trying for the blue and maybe a credit union. USAA maybe? Penfed?

.Believe.
Message 5 of 8
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Gh0st wrote:

I was thinking about trying for the blue and maybe a credit union. USAA maybe? Penfed?

PenFed has a great gas rewards credit card. They are very strict on approvals so you need a solid file to get it.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 6 of 8
jamie123
Valued Contributor

+1 on all the AMEX advice. Apply for a revolver and then cancel the Zync when the AF comes due. But really, $25 a year isn't too bad for that card.

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 7 of 8
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@jamie123 wrote:

+1 on all the AMEX advice. Apply for a revolver and then cancel the Zync when the AF comes due. But really, $25 a year isn't too bad for that card.

Exactly! I don't think i'll ever close down my Zync!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.