Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit card suggestions and app strategy

tag
nhl1508
Established Member

Re: Credit card suggestions and app strategy

@Josh2942 wrote:

First. I would pay down your existing debt. Don't try for new cards just so can carry more debt. I can already see where this is going. Pay your southwest in full and garden for the rest of the year. 

Thanks for your suggestion, but now I only have less than 1000 in debt over my 15550 credit limit. That is 5.5% utilization rate which I belive is pretty good. I really wanna get a couple more cards for the travel bonus and accommodate my spending with rewards. 

AAoA 2 years back to the garden...
Amex PRG NPSL | Chase Southwest $9K | Chase Sapphire Preferred 11.2K | Chase IHG $5K | Freedom $6.5K | Club Carlson 9K | Barclay Arrival 4K | Barclays Aviator Red 13.5K | Citi Premier 5K | Citi AAdvantage 4.8K | Discover It $6.5K | Cap1Quicksilver $4.75K
Message 11 of 12
nhl1508
Established Member

Re: Credit card suggestions and app strategy

@B335is wrote:

@nhl1508 wrote:

Thanks a lot for the suggestion Smiley Happy. I think if I go for the citi exec I would only do 1 app haha. Yes 10k for 3 months is large enough that i cant do another card. That said I will probably pass on that one. Do you think it worth it to go for the amex everday AF version? Seem like Everyday AF and CSPwould make very good combo.

Also can i apply both Barclays Arrival and US Airway at the same time? I am not sure if Barclays would like that idea hehe Smiley Happy.

I wouldn't.  I read an article posted through another board that was a Barclays Q&A type of thing and how they view credit from a lender's perspective (I'll post it here in a minute).  Take the time to read it, but one point I got is of their Cardmembers only 2-3% have more than 1 account with them.  Some have success getting 2 accounts in under 6 months, but I would go for 1 or the other - not 2 simultaneously.

Do you fly any airline exclusively?  Most frequent flyer programs are going through a race to the bottom and continuously devaluing award redemption.  If you've had your NFL card over 6 months, I would consider:

1)  Citi AA Executive 100k (only if you can meet the spend) + Barclays US Airways 40k

Or

2)  Amex SPG + Barclays Arrival

CSP is gets talked up around here a lot and it's a nice card.  In my case I just don't use it nearly as much as I thought I would.

Hi B335is, I really appreciate your post. Yes I read those posts, and I realize it is not a good idea for me to apply for two barclay cards at the same time. As of now I think i will also pass on the AA and US airway card. They are excellent cards which offer great signup bonus. However, I think I have a good chance to get another Southwest card with 50k Sign up bonus.  That will help me get the companion pass. Consider that I did not have any plan to travel abroad for around a year and a half, I think the SW companion pass and about 80K in miles would get me and my gf enough domestic travel for next year. 

I am looking at hote. Cards, but they seem to be devaluated too much that now I do not see much value on those programs. I think i will get the SW card and the Barclays Arrival along with an AMEX card to lock into my membership date with AMEX. 

AAoA 2 years back to the garden...
Amex PRG NPSL | Chase Southwest $9K | Chase Sapphire Preferred 11.2K | Chase IHG $5K | Freedom $6.5K | Club Carlson 9K | Barclay Arrival 4K | Barclays Aviator Red 13.5K | Citi Premier 5K | Citi AAdvantage 4.8K | Discover It $6.5K | Cap1Quicksilver $4.75K
Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.