cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit card to apply for with no credit?

tag
crystal0920
Valued Member

Credit card to apply for with no credit?

Posted 23 November 2013 - 09:22 PM

I am 18 and looking to build my credit. I have no credit and decided to apply for a cap one card. I was approved for a capone platinum M/C $500 limit.

It is the only thing I applied for. Is there any other card that may be easy to get with no credit?  I was thinking having 2 cards is good to start with, but do not want to burn up inquiries trying for cards that would not be possible to get. I tried Macy's, bill me later and the citi student card denied by all.

Fico scores 6/1/14 Ex 680 Eq 668 TU 692

Cap 1 Unsecured $750 / Cap 1Secured $200 / Kay's $300 / BOA $500 partial secured / Badcock account $1,200

Denied: Kohls, Discover IT, Barclays, DCU
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Longroad
Established Contributor

Re: Credit card to apply for with no credit?

If you are a student you might try Discover. My 19 year old was approved for that. Other than that you might have to go the secured route a
Message 2 of 16
Meltdownblitz
Frequent Contributor

If I were you I'd spend a good amount of that CL (but not over!) and PIF and On time monthly. At 6 months you should get a nice CLI and once that reports you should be able to get many other cards. Done this before with success. But get in the habit of spending only what you are able to pay off in full each month on each card. I would stick with that 1 card for right now.

Barclays Uber - 4% Restaurants, 2% Online Purchases/Everyday Card || PenFed Cash - 5% Gas || Amazon Visa Signature - 5% Amazon || U.S. Bank Cash+ - 5% Utilities, 5% Cable/Internet || AMEX BCP - 6% Groceries || WF Cash - Cell Insurance || Rotating 5% Categories - Chase Freedom, Discover It, Citi Dividend || AMEX Zync - For Fun!

Message 3 of 16
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Welcome to the forum I believe you should use your current card responsibility for 6 months to get some credit history. Getting a secured card from BoA could be an option they should unsecure within a year.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 4 of 16
myjourney
Super Contributor

Welcome to the forum 

Due to all the INQ's you've gotten and the denials I recommend a secured card to go with the CAP1 for the next 6 months then you should have enough history for others 

One card easy approval no HP SFDCU

Only ding is when new TL reports 

2 TL's will be enough to start you well on your way 

https://www.sdfcu.org/ShareSecured

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 5 of 16
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

I was going to suggest a CAP1 card but I see you've already added that card to your profile. The next two cards I would suggest would be a Discover card as someone else suggested and/or a store card preferably with a store you frequent so that it will get some good use.

Welcome to the forums by the way Smiley Wink

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 6 of 16
notfancy
Valued Contributor

If I might suggest, even for a new poster to the forums, do a search on "shopping cart trick" and look at those stores and advice so you might get a credit card (possibly) with out a hard pull. For example, go to Victoria's Secret and put something in your cart to buy and see if you get a pre approval pop up to get an Angel Card. :-)

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 7 of 16
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forums crystal!

Don't sweat inquiries this early in your credit history.  It's expected and acceptable to rack up several establishing initial credit.

I would recommend not getting a random junk tradeline (vis a vis the shopping card trick): get something useful to you rather than cheapening how your credit report looks.  If you can swing the security deposit for BOFA secured card, I'd suggest simply doing it and then holding pat with the BOFA card and the Cap One.  You can add their laudable 1-2-3 rewards onto it and there's nothing else for a new file that even comes close to that honestly, basically it becomes your default card for everything for the next year or so.

        
Message 8 of 16
crystal0920
Valued Member

I guess I defiantly better stop. Tried the discover and denied. I got way to many iquiries in a short time.

One thing I do  not understand is I can't get credit with no credit history, I can't apply for credit with out a inquiry on my credit report, but then I am told it dos not look good to have inquiries. Huh?  So hoiw do these companies expect me to build credit and not have inquiries?

Fico scores 6/1/14 Ex 680 Eq 668 TU 692

Cap 1 Unsecured $750 / Cap 1Secured $200 / Kay's $300 / BOA $500 partial secured / Badcock account $1,200

Denied: Kohls, Discover IT, Barclays, DCU
Message 9 of 16
myjourney
Super Contributor

@crystal0920 wrote:

I guess I defiantly better stop. Tried the discover and denied. I got way to many iquiries in a short time.

One thing I do  not understand is I can't get credit with no credit history, I can't apply for credit with out a inquiry on my credit report, but then I am told it dos not look good to have inquiries. Huh?  So hoiw do these companies expect me to build credit and not have inquiries?

As suggested earlier stop getting INQ's that is not helping you get the secured card and call it a day for 6 months then your options will be better

Good luck and best wishes 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.