Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit card users surcharge of up to 4 percent

tag
Cleanmachine
Frequent Contributor

Credit card users surcharge of up to 4 percent

Merchants are allowed to add an extra fee to credit card purchases starting Jan.  27. The surcharge is the result of a class-action lawsuit brought by major  retailers against MasterCard, Visa, and several other banks and credit  institutions.

Starting Sunday, consumers might have to pay more to use credit cards.

Merchants who accept MasterCard and Visa will soon be able to tack a  surcharge onto your bill. The surcharge is fallout from a class-action  settlement reached last July that ended years of legal battles between merchants  on the one hand, and banks and credit card companies on the other.

Along with paying a group of retailers $6.05 billion, Visa, MasterCard, and  several banks and credit card institutions agreed to allow merchants to charge an extra credit card fee starting Jan. 27.

Message 1 of 52
51 REPLIES 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit card users surcharge of up to 4 percent

Does this Apply to Discover and Amex as well because I didn't see it mentioned in your post?

Message 2 of 52
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Ugh...we get fees get capped for the banks (specifically, debit) and now the retailers are mad.

I will seriously not buy something if they want to charge me more. Retailers already hassle me about Amex and a lot of gas stations have minimum transaction amts for cards.
I wish these people would realize...that without consumers and their credit cards, they wouldn't even have business!!! Classic case of biting the hand that feeds you (them).

Meh,
Good luck :-)
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 3 of 52
Smug
Established Contributor

Happy to live in FloridaSmiley Happy
Experian® 808/Equifax® ?/TransUnion® 810
Baddies Experian® clean/Equifax® 1/TransUnion® Clean
Last CLI 6-13-2013
Total Credit $121,190.00
Goal 780!
Message 4 of 52
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

From everything I'm reading it doesn't look like AMEX is going to allow the fee to be charged, I'm betting that a lot more people will be using AMEX in hte future if the retailers start to charge these fees.  this might backfire for retailers as this will sway more people to use AMEX which it turn will cost them more than if they would have just left the fees alone and allowed people to use MC and VISA fee free

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 5 of 52
Cleanmachine
Frequent Contributor

It should be noted that this FEE is a charge from the Merchant, not the credit card companies.

The surcharge proposed by last year’s settlement is supposed to be equal to the  cost of processing a credit card transaction, which usually comes out to about  1.5 to 3 percent of the purchase. According to the settlement, merchants can’t  charge consumers more than 4 percent. They also won’t be able to add extra fees  to debit card transactions,

Credit card surcharges are illegal in some states, ABC  News reports. The surcharges won’t affect consumers making credit card  purchases in California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Kansas, Maine,  Massachusetts, New York, Oklahoma and Texas.

Merchants who want to start charging extra have to take a couple of steps to  warn consumers about the change. They will have to post a sign at their  storefront announcing the extra fee. They’ll also have to disclose the fee at  the checkout counter and on the receipt, according to the EPC.

Some of the country’s largest retailers are holding off on adding a fee to  credit card purchases made in their stores. Wal-Mart, Target, Sears, and Home  Depot told NBC News that they do not plan on taking advantage of the new rule.  Rite Aid doesn’t plan on adding surcharges as well, the Wall  Street Journal reports.

Some retailers might still be waiting to see how the case plays out in  court. U.S. District Court Judge John Gleeson gave the settlement a tentative  okay in November. The National Retail Federation is not a party to the lawsuit,  but claims that their members would be negatively affected by the settlement.  They plan to challenge the judge’s verdict in court, according to a press  release.

A final ruling on this case will be made later this year, meaning  modifications to the settlement might surface later on.

Message 6 of 52
dodgeball
Established Contributor

Charging this fee just might be the death of many stores. Dont see it happening on a large scale

NFCU Cash Rewards Siggy $22k, NFCU Flagship Rewards Siggy $22K, NFCU Platinum MC $20K, USAA Amex Rewards $6k, USAA World Mastercard Rewards $6k, NFCU Navcheck $15k

Other Cards - Citibank AAdvantage, Chase Slate, Barclays Rewards,

IN THE GARDEN UNTIL APRIL 2014

NFCU FAN CLUB MEMBER #1

Chase Star Card
NFCU FAN CLUB FAN#1
Message 7 of 52
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@dodgeball wrote:

Charging this fee just might be the death of many stores. Dont see it happening on a large scale

doubtful, 95% of people (guesstimate) use debit or cash now days anyway.... only people who are hard core CC users will notice 

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 8 of 52
chnceit
Valued Contributor

@dodgeball wrote:

Large retailers like Walmart and Sears stated they will not pass the surcharge to the customer. So I hope they stick to what they say

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 9 of 52
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

I read in one article that if a store operates in a state that doesn't allow merchant surcharge, they can't assess the surcharge in any other state.

Also, if a merchant assess a surcharge, they would have to do it for all cards which they accept...not just VISA/MasterCard. Amex prohibits merchants from adding a surcharge to sales paid for with Amex. So, if a merchant accepts Amex, they are prohibited from assessing any surcharges.
AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 10 of 52
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.