cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit card with no credit history and SSN?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit card with no credit history and SSN?

I am asking for a friend who is a legal immigrant but not illegible for a SSN. She has a ITIN (tax ID) issued to her. Can she get any credit card without SSN?
Message Edited by ficohurts on 01-16-2010 01:09 PM
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
DI
Super Contributor

Re: Credit card with no credit history and SSN?

Without a valid SSN number, I don't foresee banks issuing credit.  The  ITIN is used  for federal tax reporting only and not for any other purposes.   
Message 2 of 23
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

if they are legal, why can they not get SS#?
Message 3 of 23
DI
Super Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

To respect the OP's posting, seeking information about why one cannot get a SS# isn't cool.  No offense.    

Message 4 of 23
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Creditaddict wrote:

I consider that a valid question.

Message 5 of 23
DI
Super Contributor

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

I consider that a valid question.

Can she get any credit card without SSN?

That is  the valid question the OP ask.   I answered it.   Asking why thye cannot get a SSN if they are illegal isn't anybody's business.  

This forum offers advice about obtaining credit and cleaning up credit.  We don't offer advice about how one can obtain a SSN.  So, even if the OP answer the question it wouldn't be wise to take any advice about obtaining an SSN from a credit forum.  

Message 6 of 23
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

I still consider it a valid question. No advice was offered as to how to obtain a SS#.

I guess we'll agree to disagree on this. Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 23
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I didn't mean it offensive, I thought once you were granted citizenship then you just had to apply for SS#, so I guess it was half why can't they do that and half a question do people really get denied for SS#... this is not something I'm familiar with, wanted to learn something new by asking the question
Message 8 of 23
DI
Super Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:
I didn't mean it offensive, I thought once you were granted citizenship then you just had to apply for SS#, so I guess it was half why can't they do that and half a question do people really get denied for SS#... this is not something I'm familiar with, wanted to learn something new by asking the question

What is an ITIN?
An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) is a tax processing number issued by the Internal Revenue Service. It is a nine-digit number that always begins with the number 9 and has a range of 70-88 in the fourth and fifth digit, example 9XX-70-XXXX.
IRS issues ITINs to individuals who are required to have a U.S. taxpayer identification number but who do not have, and are not eligible to obtain a Social Security Number (SSN) from the Social Security Administration (SSA).
ITINs are issued regardless of immigration status because both resident and nonresident aliens may have a U.S. filing or reporting requirement under the Internal Revenue Code.
Individuals must have a filing requirement and file a valid federal income tax return to receive an ITIN, unless they meet an exception.

What is an ITIN used for?
ITINs are for federal tax reporting only, and are not intended to serve any other purpose. An ITIN does not authorize work in the U.S. or provide eligibility for Social Security benefits or the Earned Income Tax Credit. ITINs are not valid identification outside the tax system.
IRS issues ITINs to help individuals comply with the U.S. tax laws, and to provide a means to efficiently process and account for tax returns and payments for those not eligible for Social Security Numbers.

Message 9 of 23
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

It's certainly a valid question.  According to the SSA website:

"Unless you are a noncitizen who wants to work in the United States, you probably do not need a Social Security number.

Generally, only noncitizens authorized to work in the United States by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) can get a Social Security number. Social Security numbers are used to report an individual’s wages to the government and to determine a person’s eligibility for Social Security benefits. You need a Social Security number to work, collect Social Security benefits and receive some other government services."

So an individual can be very legal to live in the USofA but not eligible to work for wages.  If that is the case he/she won't get credit from anyone.  Wealthy people come here all the time with no intention of working, but I do not know how they establish a credit history.  Is it needed?  That seems to be the question here.  If the answer is the person has no job (not eligible to work) and no assets, they won't get credit.  If they are wealthy with assets why do they care?

Message Edited by Watchmann on 01-16-2010 08:04 PM
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.