cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit card with no credit history and SSN?

tag
DI
Super Contributor

Re: Credit card with no credit history and SSN?

It's not a valid question on this website. This forum is about credit.  

Message 11 of 23
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@DI wrote:

It's not a valid question on this website. This forum is about credit.  

isn't that the point, if you can get a SS#, then you could get credit!
I don't understand why someone that is legal wouldn't be able to obtain a SS#
but I'm really tired with arguing about it, I asked it and if the poster took offense then they could chose to say so or not answer me, i didn't ask you the question 

Message 12 of 23
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:
I don't understand why someone that is legal wouldn't be able to obtain a SS#
but I'm really tired with arguing about it, I asked it and if the poster took offense then they could chose to say so or not answer me, i didn't ask you the question 

It's been answered.  You can be SUPER LEGAL to live in the USA, but NOT legal to work.  If that is your status you can't get a SSN. 

Message 13 of 23
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

sorry I meant I hadn't known why when I answered the question. I get it now. thanks for clarifying
Message 14 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

No problem. I'm not offended. 

Regarding why she couldn't get a SSN. US laws are strange. If you are a foreign students, then you can get a SSN (but still can't work). But if you are wife of a foreign student, you can't get SSN. In fact even if you are wife a green card holder, you won't get a SSN for a few years. 

Anyway, any suggestion of possibly get credit card will be appreciated. 

Message Edited by ficohurts on 01-16-2010 06:54 PM
Message 15 of 23
DI
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Regarding my she couldn't get a SSN. US laws are strange and often times doesn't make sense. If you are a foreign students, then you can get a SSN. But if you are wife of a foreign student, you can't. In fact even if you are wife a green card holder, you won't get a SSN for a few years. 

Contact Bank of America. I think they will issue a card.   I have a friend who is foreigner and were able to get a credit card from BOA.  

Message 16 of 23
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@DI wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Regarding my she couldn't get a SSN. US laws are strange and often times doesn't make sense. If you are a foreign students, then you can get a SSN. But if you are wife of a foreign student, you can't. In fact even if you are wife a green card holder, you won't get a SSN for a few years. 

Contact Bank of America. I think they will issue a card.   I have a friend who is foreigner and were able to get a credit card from BOA.  

Glad you said that DI, I thought I remember a post last year about BofA issuing a 99/500 or secured card to someone with no ss#. had forgot about it

Message 17 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, everyone. I tell her to give BoA a try.
Message 18 of 23
DI
Super Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@DI wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Glad you said that DI, I thought I remember a post last year about BofA issuing a 99/500 or secured card to someone with no ss#. had forgot about it

Welcome.  Sorry we had to go around the world before giving you an answer.  Good luck with BOA. 

Message 19 of 23
Lyythine
Established Contributor

Ive lived abroad several times, and although each countries laws are different, especially from most US systems - obtaining a credit card is never difficult.  In most other countries, the bank where you have your deposit accounts will most likely issue you a credit card based on your savings/MMA accounts, etc: 

In the US, most major banks will do the same.  Instead of going on credit score and income, they will go by your relationship with them and the amount of money you have on deposit with them.  Several of my friends have done this while living/working in the US without becoming a citizen or obtaining a SS#.  What you cannot do is use any online application since all will ask for SS#.  My advice would be to go to the bank where you hold accounts and talk with one of the banking associates.  They will be able to tell you what they require to obtain a credit card for a foriegn national.

In regards to DI's posts:  If someone wants to ask a question to gain knowledge, I feel its not inappropriate. Especially when it does have to do with credit/banking.  If the poster or a mod feels it is uncouth, that is a different issue.  The most the OP would have to say is..... Nothing.

Message Edited by Lyythine on 01-22-2010 11:26 AM
Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.