Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit cards and debit cards as one?

tag
Juss11
Frequent Contributor

Credit cards and debit cards as one?

So I went to chase bank to pull some cash out of my checking account. I got to thinking, why cant you pull money fom checking account with your credit card? Like say I forgot my debit, but I hve my CSP. Why dont banks allow you to use your credit card, to aces your regular checking/savings acount? If  you bank with them whats the difference? Even if its only at chase ATMs only etc.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
leegreen
Frequent Contributor

Re: Credit cards and debit cards as one?

It makes a lot of sense to do that but I think it falls apart with the logistics of the software code to do it. The system would have to differentiate between checking withdraws and cash advances and your checking account would have to link to every chase cc you had.
06/26/2014 - Gardening until 7/1/15
NFCU NavCheck 15k, cashRewards VS 14k, nRewards 14k
Amex BCE 15k, CapOne Quicksilver MC 3k, USAA Platinum MC 2k, Discover It 1k
Jared 5.1K, Zales 5k, Lowe's 15k, Home Depot 5k
Message 2 of 8
Glkslngr
Frequent Contributor

Or maybe a membership card that lets you access all your accounts with them, not necessarily a credit card per say... never thought about this before..Smiley Indifferent

Message 3 of 8
AvadaKedavra
Established Contributor

Really good idea. Probably too expensive to actually execute.

Message 4 of 8
elim
Senior Contributor

I access 3 accounts with 1 card at my local bank. Linking all these to a CC should be easy to code. "1 Bank/1 Card" i like it.

Message 5 of 8
omgtain
Established Member

If someone steals your credit card do you really want them to be able to pull all of the cash from your checking and possibly savings account?

Message 6 of 8
Juss11
Frequent Contributor

So if they got your debt card they could not do the same thing? I have had my debit card stolen and chase refunded me the money!
Message 7 of 8
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Two cards in one is doable. 5/3 bank do have a card called Duo card that does just that.

Problem with two cards in one is simply added complexity in issuing them. In 5/3's case you have to have a checking account first and you can only apply via telephone or in-person. Also many stores will default to debit transaction without giving you the option to complete the transaction in credit. This makes some debit cards, like PayPal MC debit card, unable to earn rewards for in-store purchase.

As for debit card fraud protection, federal law is heavily centered around credit card. Debit card has less federal protection than credit card. Credit card liability maxed out to $50, whereas debit card can go as much as $500 unless you report the fraud within 2 business days.

Plus two cards in one would've defeat the purpose of cash advacnes.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.