Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit cards and online gambling companies

tag
tjdutch
Established Member

Credit cards and online gambling companies

Well heres the issue, some of my cards have anti-gaming rules about online gambling.  I came across Ultimate Bet an online poker company, and they seemed to have found a loop hole around this, they bill me under some weird billing like books for kids and a 1888 number on the billing statement and each transaction is billed differently.  It doesn't appear that I am being charged a cash advance fee when i use my credit card, I can deposit the money right back into my bank account, and they will only charge me that standard apr not the cash advance one which is like 10% higher.  Is there any harm in doing this, seems like a back door without having to pay a cash advance fee.  Also, my bank of america alaska airlines debit card has anti gaming rules on it also, and it won't let me use it on some poker sites but it works on this one.  Is this tactic by the poker company legal to bill under a different name? 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit cards and online gambling companies

Sounds fishy. Just remember if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Message 2 of 5
ficofox
Regular Contributor

It's actually not that big a deal but you might jaunt on over to twoplustwo and read some archived threads about UB scammers.  I will never play there again.  Pokerstars is about the only poker site that has avoided serious issues in the past few years.

With FICO, time heals all wounds.

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 3 of 5
tjdutch
Established Member

Well I haven't had a problem with UB, they've always paid out and never took out more than authorized.  Its just seems weird that they are billing under a different name and I wonder if the credit card companies will catch on to this and stop them from charging.  Where do I read for this twoplustwo thread? 

Message 4 of 5
ficofox
Regular Contributor

All poker sites that accept U.S. customers must use a certain amount of subterfuge when processing payments due to the UIGEA. Google UIGEA and TwoPlusTwo UB Scam for some lazy afternoon reading.

Shorthand and cliffnotes based on 8 years of experience...[internet poker is rigged (bots) and slightly illegal in the US.  But really fun. YMMV.]

With FICO, time heals all wounds.

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.