Did you mean: 

Credit cards for low FICO??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit cards for low FICO??

New here...looking for some advice!

I have a TU 555, EX 553, EQ 587

yes crappy credit all my fault...I have two accounts in good standing (auto loan and a credit one credit card) rest is in collectionsSmiley Sad made mistakes in college, now most are paid off.
I'm looking to get one or two new cards to help improve my scores!

THANKS!
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit cards for low FICO??

Speaking from experience, try Hooters and Orchard Bank.  I have also heard the B of A 99/500 card is a good rebuilder card, but I don't have it.  Maybe a Target Red card, too. 
Message 2 of 16
Boswd
Valued Contributor

apply at Orchard Bank and Bank of America,  these two offer IMO the best subprime cards out there, they don't have all those insane fee's attached to them like most of those crazy sub prime cards.
Message 3 of 16
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

I'd suggest Cap1 and Hooters.  Search the boards for lots of into on both.

Cap1 has a pre-qual online that you can see what they might give you... it's not an app unless you then app.  Apping is instant decision.

Hooters is possibly instant decision... depends on the constellations.  Smiley Wink
EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 4 of 16
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

I'm going to second Boswd and JemiBlue on BoA.  Looking at the card you do have, you're not going to want to continue it at some point.  For your 'oldest' card to grow with... BoA should be your first choice above Orchard, Cap1, and Hooters IMHO.

BoA also has a pre-qual online where you get no hard INQ unless you then app.  At the least, you should be able to get their fully secured card which CONVERTs to a regular card in the future... you keep your account age and good history.

There is also the partially secured 99/500 card as mentioned.  In order to even be considered for it, you have to apply for the Platinum card online... it's a counter offer to the Platinum denial IF they choose to offer it to you.  With your current FICOs and unpaid collections, I would be iffy on it. but probably try for that with crossed fingers. 
EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

If anyone's interested here is the website S.C. is talking about.

https://preapproved.bankofamerica.com/cc/SelfInquiry.aspx

Sorry it's not a link. I'm on Firefox. Smiley Sad
Message 6 of 16
stpn2me
Frequent Contributor

Personally,

I would say keep away from CapitalOne. They may give you an introductory card, but the fees will kill you and they will NEVER give you a credit limit increase. But if you are just looking for anyone who will give you credit, try them, but I dont recommend them...
TU - 673 EQ - 672 EX - 669 as of 13 Nov 2015
Message 7 of 16
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@stpn2me wrote:

Personally,

I would say keep away from CapitalOne. They may give you an introductory card, but the fees will kill you and they will NEVER give you a credit limit increase. But if you are just looking for anyone who will give you credit, try them, but I don't recommend them...

The Revenge of Stpn2me! Smiley Wink hee hee

Seriously, it's time for CCC's to learn that people do talk and compare notes. Bad business practices eventually will bite them in the butt.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 16
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

I think people either love or hate Cap1.

We love em here so far and they have come a long way.  They were the only company to give DH a real card when his credit super stunk and his APR is lower than my main Chase card!  From 300 to 2.5k limit in 15 months... and they waived the AF.  AND he has 2 settled for less than fulls with them from under 5 years ago.  Now they gave him Cash Back rewards... and they said call next year and they'll waive the fee... and hopefully someday soon they will start converting cards more easily and he can get a no AF with a card that has a better max CL.

I gotta go inhale now... that was a long one.
Message 9 of 16
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

Capital One has been nice to me when no one else will also. They gave me a card with a $500 limit and it has increased to $1800 in 4 months. They also gave me a No Hassle Visa card with a $1000 limit.

Not much, but by far substantial to all of the $300 cards I have been dealing with.
Here we go again...
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.