Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit cards for out of business retailers

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit cards for out of business retailers

I was trying to get a house but could not get approved due to how much I owe on my student loans, so I've turned my attention to trying to pay off some of my credit cards.  I have enough money to and would like pay off the card with the highest interest, balance, and balnce to credit ratio (Wickes Citibank), however since Wickes has gone out of business, my concern is that if I pay off thecard Citibank will immediately close it out taking my history (I only have 7 years of history), and available credit with it.  I have have asked Citibank in the past if they would change the card over to a normal Citibank card or to a card for one of the retailers that work with that is still in business so I can keep the credit history, but they have said that it isn't possible.  Has anyone else had a similar issue?  Any advice.  My credit cards with balances are as follows:

Bank of America - $120 balance $2500 limit 14.24% APR

Wickes Citibank - $1378 balance $2500 limit 25% APR

Dell Financial Services (computer) - $698 balance $5000 limit 16.24% APR

Wells Fargo - $262 balance $5000 limit 21% APR

My two credit cards are both retail cards with zero balances.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Re: Credit cards for out of business retailers

Pay it off and let them close it.

The history will stay on your report for 10 years, so that is not an issue.    

Your utilization will be better when it is paid off, so that should should help.

Message 2 of 5
ngerasimatos
Valued Contributor

Is it a regular Visa card or only a store card?
Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value
Albert Einstein 1879 - 1955

800+ Club
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't know that it'd stay on my report for 10 years after being paid off, so that's awesome news.  Thanks.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Its a store citibank card.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.