Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit cards for your kids?

tag
thom02099
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit cards for your kids?

I added both my kiddos (daughter 17/son21) as AU as a Christmas present in 2011.  Both are gainfully employed and I wanted them to start learning and respecting the power of credit.  They were added to my  Citi Diamond Preferred MC, AMEX Clear,and Discover More  (now IT).  Citi and AMEX allowed me to set limits on them, Discover, I just monitor closely.  All 3 report as TL for both kiddos, and because of these additions my daughter had a 728 EX score when we did a refi on her vehicle loan.. This wouldn't have happened with pre-paid cards.  

Message 11 of 37
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@Cleanmachine wrote:

Consumers under the age of 21 can obtain a credit card if they have a co-signer.

The co-signer is a Parent or Guardian who agrees to pay off the debt if the child becomes unable to pay.

OR

If under 21 years of age must provide documentation that proves they can pay off the credit requested.

I think that is what the law says, but... My daughter at 18 got her own card (Capital One Journey) with a $2500 limit, and the "documentation" was merely putting a number on the application.

Message 12 of 37
ceemee2203
Regular Contributor

I think your child could learn responsibility if at the end of every month you provide her with the bill that she has to pay for her charges. As long as you stick with it, she'll learn how she's spending her money and about the responsibility of paying it back.

When she's older, she'll appreciate it.

Plus, if she's an AU, and you can set her limit, you won't have to worry about paying out $1000 because she lost her mind one day and "just had to have that bag."

Current Cards: AMEX Everyday ($15k), AMEX BCE ($20k), Amex Platinum, Arrival ($11.5k), Merrill+ ($7.5k), Freedom ($5k), Double Cash ($6.5k)

2/16 - 864 Fico EQ (CITI); 818 Fico Ex (AMEX)
Message 13 of 37
distantarray
Established Contributor

when I get a child I'm adding the kid to my amex as legally allowed lol, I wonder if they would let me add them as a new born? Smiley Wink  this way when they turn 18 they got 18 years of backdating Smiley Happy

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 14 of 37
snowkitty
Established Contributor

I definitely want to be able to set a limit....after all she is a 16 year old girl who loves clothes, shoes & to spend money! I'm trying sooo hard to teach her and my son about how important credit is. I show them my stuff all the time. I messed my credit up so bad when I turned 18.....twice in fact because my parents bailed me out the first time. I do not want them to follow in those footsteps.

On mobile....sorry for any errors
TU Fico 714 | Sesame 742 | Credit Karma 762 | Wal-Mart FICO 734 | EX FICO 695 (1/28/13) | EQ 740 (3-21-13)

Amex Blue Sky 7.2k | Amex BCE 13.1k | Citi Diamond Preferred 10.2k | CSP 5k | Bofa Cash 9k | Boa Travel 10k | Discover More 3k | Chase SW 5k | Wal-Mart 3.3k | Amazon 5k | Old Navy Visa 5k | Shell 1200 | BP 400 | VS 1500 | Sam's Discover 8.5k | FNBO Amex 16k | Chase Freedom 1.3k | Home Depot 5k | Brylane Homes 1600 | BML 2820

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 15 of 37
snowkitty
Established Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

when I get a child I'm adding the kid to my amex as legally allowed lol, I wonder if they would let me add them as a new born? Smiley Wink  this way when they turn 18 they got 18 years of backdating Smiley Happy

lol   Cat Very Happy

TU Fico 714 | Sesame 742 | Credit Karma 762 | Wal-Mart FICO 734 | EX FICO 695 (1/28/13) | EQ 740 (3-21-13)

Amex Blue Sky 7.2k | Amex BCE 13.1k | Citi Diamond Preferred 10.2k | CSP 5k | Bofa Cash 9k | Boa Travel 10k | Discover More 3k | Chase SW 5k | Wal-Mart 3.3k | Amazon 5k | Old Navy Visa 5k | Shell 1200 | BP 400 | VS 1500 | Sam's Discover 8.5k | FNBO Amex 16k | Chase Freedom 1.3k | Home Depot 5k | Brylane Homes 1600 | BML 2820

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 16 of 37
sambam94
Established Member

18 year olds do not need documenation..well, maybe some banks do, not what I've seen though..Chase, USAA, Barclays

Message 17 of 37
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@ceemee2203 wrote:

I think your child could learn responsibility if at the end of every month you provide her with the bill that she has to pay for her charges. As long as you stick with it, she'll learn how she's spending her money and about the responsibility of paying it back.

When she's older, she'll appreciate it.

Plus, if she's an AU, and you can set her limit, you won't have to worry about paying out $1000 because she lost her mind one day and "just had to have that bag."

+1, Amen to that! 

When the bills come in, I let my kids know right away.  I set up alerts for balance changes so I get notifications.  They then pay me in cash, which i deposit and use to pay their bills. 

Message 18 of 37
jake619
Frequent Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

I would've tried it with my 4yo but Amex minimum AU age is 15.  As an aside, where do you plan on "getting" your kid?  Are they any sales now?Smiley Surprised

Message 19 of 37
pkosheta
Contributor

Adding a child as an AU is good if you trust your kids.  I started at age 10 and my credit is great because I learned to manage it at a young age.  It can be a great teaching tool.  However, at age 16 kids tend not to listen ( I know I didn't). At age 10 mom and dad had my ear to a far greater degree and so I was indoctrinated/exposed to engage in responsible  Credit behavior.  It is also hard to abuse when you cant even drive yourself to the store ( and before amazon.com lol).  It paid off and I cannot thank them enough.

Age 29
AU- United+ Visa 33k, *97. GM MasterCard 15k, *95.
Individual- PenFed Plat Rew 7k, *08. Amex Blue 6.7k, *12. Hilton Amex 5.5k, *12. Chase Sapphire 15k, *12. U.S. Bank Cash+ 12.3k, *12. Barclays Priceline.com Rewards Visa 11k, *13. Citi DoubleCash (PC'd in *14) 7k, *13. Club Carlson Premier 9k, *13.
Message 20 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.