Re: Credit cards for your kids?

Check out USAA teen checking.

Message 21 of 37
distantarray
Established Contributor

@jake619 wrote:

@distantarray wrote:

when I get a child I'm adding the kid to my amex as legally allowed lol, I wonder if they would let me add them as a new born? Smiley Wink  this way when they turn 18 they got 18 years of backdating Smiley Happy

I would've tried it with my 4yo but Amex minimum AU age is 15.  As an aside, where do you plan on "getting" your kid?  Are they any sales now?Smiley Surprised

In China you can get a good little girl if you use a Amex Platinum, and use the rewards to redeem for the flight back Smiley Happy    jk   (I"m Asian btw so before anyone says it's racist Smiley Tongue)

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 22 of 37
jsucool76
Super Contributor

If you have an american express card, you can actually add your children as AUs(or additional card members) and they will get their own online account, and you can set spending limits on their cards.
Message 23 of 37
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

After my app spree last August I was approved for a bunch of nice cards with good limits, so I didn't have much of a need for my rebuiler level  Cap1 Cash Rewards card. But instead of closing it, I put my DD on as an AU. She's in her early 20s, goes to school and works part-time. She's using it mostly for gas and groceries, so I get 2% back on most of her purchases, which more than covers the $39 AF. It still has the $750 toy limit, so I've been able to see how she does with using it without risk of things getting out of control. I'm pleased to say that she's been very responsible with it so far, so sometime this year I'm going to try to get Cap1 to waive the AF and increase the limit -- I'll try contacting the EO if necessary -- as I'm starting to feel more and more comfortable with her usage. It's been a win-win for us, as I've been gaining additional history on the account, and she's inherited over 2 years of clean history, is learning what's involved in managing a credit card, and will be in good shape to apply for one of her own when she feels ready to fly solo. Smiley Happy

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 24 of 37
jmco
Contributor

I added my 17yr old DD as an authorized user to my Cap 1 and Discover cards.  I wanted to start her having a credit history but more importantly I wanted to make sure she had $$ available to her for emergencies since she is driving now. She is now 19 and in college and adding her has helped with the loan needed for college - the interest salliemae is charging is not bad and the loan is now under her own name.  I plan on doing the same in a few months when my other daughter turns 17.

Starting Score: 720
Current Score: 626
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 25 of 37
Jkusa
Valued Member

Credit Card?? Heck no. What we did for our son (16) was to open a checking account in his name with an associated debit card. When he wants to spend money i.e go to the movies with the GF or friends, or eat out etc. he uses HIS debit card and it comes from HIS money. He earns that money through various jobs and an allowence that he gets only when he does specific chores.

No work = no money.

Teach your kid how to manage cash before you teach him how to manage credit or debt. 

Just my 2 cents

src="http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/i/custom/FFC_Icon.gif">Starting Score: 652
Current Score: EQ 685 TU 683 EX 699 (their sites FAKO) all as of 03/02/13
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 26 of 37
E150GT
Frequent Contributor

Yes its better to teach them about money first. If you dont, they could app and get cards with pretty decent limits and go crazy. I personally did not do anything right when it came to money when I was 18. I got a credit card and maxed it out and didnt pay. I went on a cash only basis and have been that way for years up until 2010. Even though I had gotten to the point where I was managing the money I made, I still ran up my credit cards and kept balances up unitl now. I knew better too. Credit cards can be real trouble unless you are very strict with them. Just teach them right and not just teach them how to be able to extend yourself beyond your means through the use of credit. Its not that important really anyway. 

CSP-$8700, Amex BCE-17.2k, Chase Freedom-$5700
Discover It-$6600, USAA MC-$5900 Ink Bold- $12k United Explorer-$5k
Message 27 of 37
p-
Valued Contributor

@Jkusa wrote:

Credit Card?? Heck no. What we did for our son (16) was to open a checking account in his name with an associated debit card. When he wants to spend money i.e go to the movies with the GF or friends, or eat out etc. he uses HIS debit card and it comes from HIS money. He earns that money through various jobs and an allowence that he gets only when he does specific chores.

No work = no money.

Teach your kid how to manage cash before you teach him how to manage credit or debt. 

Just my 2 cents

That's exactly how we do it.  Our 13 year old has a youth savings with USAA and an ATM card that goes with it.  I told him if he shows responsible use of it for a year, I'll let him get the Youth checking with a Visa Debit.  He earns his own money, and spends most of it but keeps decent track so far.  It has all sorts of parental controls and won't let them overdraft, so I consider it a good way to start.

My 3 year old gets quarters for extra chores, and saves them in a little bank.  He spends most of his money on matchbox cars, despite having intended to save for a "real car".  I know the feeling...

I disagree with adding kids as an AU to improve their credit score.  I would prefer my kids to be denied for anything except the most basic student cards, until they learn how to manage credit.  Once they reach a point where they have income and experience with credit, I will probably help them with some AU accounts.  Until then I'm just increasing their exposure to risk of major default.  

I wouldn't want them to have a huge credit line at 19, and end up with a judgement haunting them until 30.  Being restricted to low limit student cards is like credit training wheels with a helmet and elbow pads.  If they fall, there will be no major damage.  Putting them as an AU on a bunch of high limit old accounts is like handing them keys to a crotch rocket when they've never even ridden a bike.  

I just think it's better to ease into something that important.

Message 28 of 37
HindSight_20_20
Frequent Contributor

+1  BAM!!   Jkusa:

"..No work = no money.  Smiley Wink

Teach your kid how to manage cash before you teach him how to manage credit or debt."..

Goal Score: EX 700|TU 700|EQ700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

HiltonHonors AMEX 2K | Amazon Store CC $800 | Bed Bath & Beyond 2K | Lowes CC 11K | Cap 1 Secured $500 | Cap 1 Plat $300 | Cap 1 Savor 1K |Citi Secured $200 | Target $500 | Kohl's $1K | Truist Cashback 4.5K | Penfed Power Cash Back 3.5K |Apple Pay CC 3K | Venmo Sig Visa 7.5K | SECU 13.5K | Bragg Mutual FCU 10K | Best Buy Citi Visa $2.5K | DiscoverIT CB 11.5K
Message 29 of 37
jake619
Frequent Contributor

I just wanted to point out the benefit of being AU does not REQUIRE the youth actually use the card. There are gains to be realized by just being listed as an AU.

I recognize this thread is about teens and CC's but I thought this point may have slipped by. Perhaps the combination of a cash-backed card to teach the "when its gone its gone" principle while the AU cooks in parallel. When they display responsible actions and are ready to use credit they will have a nice profile with little risk.
Message 30 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.