cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit cards--- how much money to push through them to make them "happy".

tag
Jake0215
Frequent Contributor

Re: Credit cards--- how much money to push through them to make them "happy".

@Scamp wrote:

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@MarineVietVet wrote:

This is most definitely one of those YMMV situations. For several years now my only monthly charge on one of my cards is around $17 for my XM Radio bill. Another card has my cable bill of about $70 dollars on it.

They seem perfectly content with this.

+1

Smiley Wink

Smiley Very Happy

If I just type +1 a hundred times in 1 post could one of you give me credit for 100 posts. It would save me a lot of time.

Starting Score: 617 EQ 10-17-11
Current Score: EQ 767 TU 769 EX 749 (all FICO but who really knows?)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 20
Gollum
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

And by happy i mean, no AA or .... jealousy? (I'm not sure the phrasing is correct there)? Is it enough to push through a few hundred a month and PIF? I'm just wondering about this and if no AA, how it will affect future CLIs I suppose.

Cheers!

I think a no-annual-fee card should generate at least $35 annually in fee transactions and/or interest in order to make the credit card company "happy."

That's approx. $3/month.

I read recently that the average Visa fee returned to the credit-card-issuing bank is approx. 1.9% per transaction.

It that is correct, running $160/month through the card (while paying in full) is probably the minimum to keep the credit card company "happy:"

$160 multiplied by 0.019 equals $3.04.

Credit Scores: (FICO 8) 846 Experian April 2024, 844 TransUnion March 2024 | (FICO 9) 849 Equifax April 2024
Credit Cards (newest to oldest): NFCU VISA Platinum $25,000 | BECU Cash Back VISA $10,000 | American Express BCE $9000 | Simmons Bank VISA $7500 | Capital One Quicksilver VISA Platinum (PC/upgrade from No Hassle Miles Rewards VISA Platinum) $500
Message 12 of 20
boomhower
Valued Contributor

I maximize my rewards.  Most goes through Amex BCP with Discover and Chase Freedom getting their 5% categories.  I make them work for me, not the other way around.

Message 13 of 20
Gollum
Established Contributor

@Scamp wrote:

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@MarineVietVet wrote:

This is most definitely one of those YMMV situations. For several years now my only monthly charge on one of my cards is around $17 for my XM Radio bill. Another card has my cable bill of about $70 dollars on it.

They seem perfectly content with this.

+1

Smiley Wink

Smiley Very Happy

The above is the most useless series of followups that I have ever seen.  I hope you moderators of this WWW forum:

haulingthescoreup

Scamp

feel proud of yourselves, because I certainly am not impressed by your smiley-face contributions to the conversation.

Credit Scores: (FICO 8) 846 Experian April 2024, 844 TransUnion March 2024 | (FICO 9) 849 Equifax April 2024
Credit Cards (newest to oldest): NFCU VISA Platinum $25,000 | BECU Cash Back VISA $10,000 | American Express BCE $9000 | Simmons Bank VISA $7500 | Capital One Quicksilver VISA Platinum (PC/upgrade from No Hassle Miles Rewards VISA Platinum) $500
Message 14 of 20
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

Push through as much as you reasonably can as long as you can always PIF. Don't charge stuff just for the sake of charging, but if you're going to anyways and PIF you may as well collect the rewards that go along with it.
EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 15 of 20
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Gollum wrote:

The above is the most useless series of followups that I have ever seen.  I hope you moderators of this WWW forum:

haulingthescoreup

Scamp

feel proud of yourselves, because I certainly am not impressed by your smiley-face contributions to the conversation.

It's an inside joke directed strictly at me.

Message 16 of 20
Gollum
Established Contributor

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@Gollum wrote:

haulingthescoreup

Scamp

It's an inside joke directed strictly at me.

I am certain that you moderators have at least one way to exchange private messages.

A private message seems appropriate for

"an inside joke directed strictly at me"

instead of what was posted.

Thank you for responding, and further responses are not necessary.

Instead, I hope that moderators refrain from useless emoticon posts.

Message 17 of 20
clocktick
Valued Contributor

Seriously, what does it matter?  A lot of people here use emoticons and have "private jokes."  Who cares if it's a moderator or not?  I'd rather see happy faces than posts like yours.  Just move on.  This is just an internet forum with regular everyday people.  I actually thought your first response post was a joke.  Wow.

Smiley Happy

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 18 of 20
Gollum
Established Contributor

@clocktick wrote:

Seriously, what does it matter?  A lot of people here use emoticons and have "private jokes."  Who cares if it's a moderator or not?  I'd rather see happy faces than posts like yours.  Just move on.  This is just an internet forum with regular everyday people.  I actually thought your first response post was a joke.  Wow.

Smiley Happy

People google for information about credit cards.  Myfico.com is apparently crawled 24/7 by web crawlers.  Google searches rank myfico.com posts at the top, in my experience.

If you'd "rather see happy faces", I could make you happy by posting a bunch of "happy faces" without providing any content.

That would not help people find information, though, and that is/was my complaint.

Message 19 of 20
Open123
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

And by happy i mean, no AA or .... jealousy? (I'm not sure the phrasing is correct there)? Is it enough to push through a few hundred a month and PIF? I'm just wondering about this and if no AA, how it will affect future CLIs I suppose.

Cheers!

Ah, in most cases, I'd say at least $5 bucks per month?

What I like to do is just have a small recurring charge to each card.  If you have deposit accounts, they care much less.  I've gone 15 years without using a BofA card and didn't even bother activating the cards they send me for renewal, and it's still there with CL increases.  

If you bank with them, I wouldn't worry about it.  If you don't, then at least buy a cup of coffee, or have a small recurring charge, such as magazine etc...

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.