Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit cards scores confusion

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit cards scores confusion

Hi all, I went a mini app spree recently and now starting to receive denied letters. For creditors (barclay apple and banana republic store card)who pulled TU, they stated my score is 601 when myfico version I bought few days ago stated 553. Discover who pulled equifax for me stated my score is 626 when myfico version is 644. I'm confused as to whether which scores are correct, please feel free to chime in. I'm gardening for at least 6 mos before I apply for anything else but that's unlikely as I'll be aping for a mortgage in 12 mos. thus wanting to know my process of credit rebuilding. Finally, I started with scores in mid 500s before I found this forum and that's only few months ago! I love myfico forums!
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit cards scores confusion

Does it give you a range of scores?

AMEX: $25,000, CSR: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $5000, Freedom Unlimited: $1000, Discover: $21,000, BoA $11,000, WF Cash Wise: $5000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

If I'm not mistaken (letters are at home) 300-850
Message 3 of 7
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Without seeing the information on the letters my guess would be that the difference in TU scores is because they are using a different version of FICO.  TU04 is often used now and the version you get here is TU98.  As for Equifax, perhaps the score you pulled here was before all the new inquiries and the score you got from Discover is after the inquiries from the app spree.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

i actually pulled equuifax yesterday a week after applying for discover and receiving denial letter from discover. maybe discover uses different scoring model

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Walt_K wrote:

Without seeing the information on the letters my guess would be that the difference in TU scores is because they are using a different version of FICO.  TU04 is often used now and the version you get here is TU98.  As for Equifax, perhaps the score you pulled here was before all the new inquiries and the score you got from Discover is after the inquiries from the app spree.

so i should rely on this score as my true TU score? if i get a walmart card and get free TU score, would it be the same model?

Message 6 of 7
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Walt_K wrote:

so i should rely on this score as my true TU score? if i get a walmart card and get free TU score, would it be the same model?

Walmart will give you TU08, yet another different scoring version.  Unfortunately, I don't think there is a way to get your TU04 except from a lender, e.g., when applying for a mortgage.  And your TU98 that you pull here can vary quite considerably from your TU04.  TU98 is still used by some lenders (as far as I am aware), but for mortgage purposes, it is nearly as bad as a FAKO in my opinion because it seems most mortgage lenders are using TU04 and there are several people reporting score variances of up to 40-60 points. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.