cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit cards with airport lounge access?

tag
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit cards with airport lounge access?

Looks like I just need to borrow a million dollars from somebody just so I can get a credit card with a reasonable annual fee....sounds like a logical plan :/

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 41 of 61
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

Looks like I just need to borrow a million dollars from somebody just so I can get a credit card with a reasonable annual fee....sounds like a logical plan :/

You should keep in mind that cards with airport lounges are targetted at affluent customers who aren't afraid of large AFs, or fly frequently for work and have many of their expenses reimbursed. If someone isn't in one of those categories, airport lounge cards may not be for them.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 42 of 61
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

You should keep in mind that cards with airport lounges are targetted at affluent customers who aren't afraid of large AFs, or fly frequently for work and have many of their expenses reimbursed. If someone isn't in one of those categories, airport lounge cards may not be for them.

No matter how much money I have, I will never want to spend it on an AF. I think the bank makes enough off merchant fee's and should not have to charge a customer an AF.

I used to fly a few times a month, but haven't been flying much recently. I am going to be spending more time in the terminals soon, so am keeping my eyes open. Most of my expenses are reimbursed by my clients. My father was in the military so I have just used the USO's, but in time that will end and I will need to use civilian lounges.

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 43 of 61
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

No matter how much money I have, I will never want to spend it on an AF. I think the bank makes enough off merchant fee's and should not have to charge a customer an AF.

I used to fly a few times a month, but haven't been flying much recently. I am going to be spending more time in the terminals soon, so am keeping my eyes open. Most of my expenses are reimbursed by my clients. My father was in the military so I have just used the USO's, but in time that will end and I will need to use civilian lounges.

Want and need are two very different things, and in this case you'll be hard-pressed to find lounge access with no AF. Without annual fees, better benefits would strictly be limited by minimum spending thresholds because interchange fees is the only other way they can really make money. Someone generating that much in interchange fees through heavy usage will likely fall into one of those two categories anyways.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 44 of 61
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Penfed seems to offer it with $15k annual spend

www.nerdwallet.com/card-details/card-name/PenFed-Premium-Travel-Rewards

Message 45 of 61
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

Penfed seems to offer it with $15k annual spend

www.nerdwallet.com/card-details/card-name/PenFed-Premium-Travel-Rewards

You only get the standard priority pass membership with 15k in spend, which means you'll have to pay $27 per person (including yourself) every time you use an airport lounge.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
Message 46 of 61
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dustink wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

People always want something for nothing...

Message 47 of 61
Dustink
Valued Contributor

People always want something for nothing...

Yup, and banks always want customers.

As with your gold card, what does that $175 annual fee get you? It seems like a waste of money to me. I think my Flexperks card offers better rewards and no annual fee after $24k in purchases per year.

I just want to make a smart choice, and get a card that I will keep forever. Not just flush money down the drain on pointless AF's. Yeah sure, the AF on the plat card may have some value, but I don't know if it will be worth it to me in a few years. So, I would prefer to have a card that I can keep even if my spending and travel habits fluctuate.

Message 48 of 61
Voodard
Contributor

Dustink, why are you acting as though the bank keeps the AF on lounge access cards?  You do understand that a majority of that annual fee gets passed through to the airline right?  It's not as though Chase gets to keep $350.00 of the $395.00 AF for the United Club Card.

TU 743 as of 5/12
EQ 715 as of 10/13
EX Plus 780 as of 7/12

Cards in wallet: Chase Sapphire Preferred ($25k) Chase Freedom (8k) NFCU Platinum ($24k) HHonors Reserve ($11k)
United MileagePlus Club ($17k)
Message 49 of 61
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@Voodard wrote:

Dustink, why are you acting as though the bank keeps the AF on lounge access cards?  You do understand that a majority of that annual fee gets passed through to the airline right?  It's not as though Chase gets to keep $350.00 of the $395.00 AF for the United Club Card.

I understand that Chase has to pay for their customer to have lounge access. Although, your numbers may actually be close to reality. If they are buying club memberships in huge quantities, their prices go way down. They also have some customers paying fee's and interest to offset the banks costs. Or about $15,000 in spending would offset that AF in interchange fee's. So yes, Chase on average probably does keep that much of the AF. Actually they probably keep the AF and then some. Last quarter they made a record $5.3 billion dollars. I think they could afford to lower the AF and still profit just fine.

Are you so supportive of AF's in an effort to justify them for yourself? I am just trying to see what cards offer the best benefits.This involves finding banks that are the most willing to absorb costs to earn more customers.

Message 50 of 61
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.