Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit cards

I know I have heard having too many credit cards can affect you in obtaining new credit when applgying and even sometimes keep you from increased limits if felt you havev already too many tradelines--my question is:

Does having too many cards also affect your score---even if all in good standings or it mainly the score is based on UTIL not amount that affects your score?

Second question if its too many cards that affects score--should I close some and choose ones in the middle to close just to avoid cancelling my longest tradelines or since they report for 10 years it dont matter which I close or keep--many of my credit limits havent moved...I know the market in todays economy has many companies skeptical..I know in the beginning I was so eager to obtain credit and got over excited LOL but I can truly say I have managed it well and kept from being late etc and proving myself--however now all these cards arent necessary ---a couple will be fine --I have always wished for a card with a real high limit and (one with all my limits combined) but I havent been successful in obtaining one of those regardless of increased income over the years..

Thanks for any advice or input in advance

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Re: Credit cards

@Anonymous wrote:

I know I have heard having too many credit cards can affect you in obtaining new credit when applgying and even sometimes keep you from increased limits if felt you havev already too many tradelines--my question is:

Does having too many cards also affect your score---even if all in good standings or it mainly the score is based on UTIL not amount that affects your score?

Second question if its too many cards that affects score--should I close some and choose ones in the middle to close just to avoid cancelling my longest tradelines or since they report for 10 years it dont matter which I close or keep--many of my credit limits havent moved...I know the market in todays economy has many companies skeptical..I know in the beginning I was so eager to obtain credit and got over excited LOL but I can truly say I have managed it well and kept from being late etc and proving myself--however now all these cards arent necessary ---a couple will be fine --I have always wished for a card with a real high limit and (one with all my limits combined) but I havent been successful in obtaining one of those regardless of increased income over the years..

Number of Accounts does not affect your FICO score.   

What do you consider too many?   I would close or keep cards for other reasons, not the total number.  

Message 2 of 12
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

The number of accounts with balances can affect a score. You can find that and more from reading What's In A FICO Score?

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wolf3--I have 9 major cards and 8 store card (which includes a paypal credit account)

All have zero balances --I do have large balances on 2 of the majors (2 with lowest interest rates) minus one with zero percent interest that was offered for the next 21 months--been contemplating transferring one of those over to that and work it down then do the same with the other to save some interest $$$

as for the store cards--I have balances on 3 cards (one which was no interest for 6 months)

thanks thats what I needed to know I have all my CCs sock drawered unless an emergency trying to work down the balances of those with balances ---

Added up all balances and whats owed I am at about 26 percent UTIL I would love to get that down to 10-15 and soon work towards maintaining the best 1-9

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks so much.... MarineVietVet

Message 5 of 12
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Wolf3--I have 9 major cards and 8 store card (which includes a paypal credit account)

All have zero balances --I do have large balances on 2 of the majors (2 with lowest interest rates) minus one with zero percent interest that was offered for the next 21 months--been contemplating transferring one of those over to that and work it down then do the same with the other to save some interest $$$

as for the store cards--I have balances on 3 cards (one which was no interest for 6 months)

thanks thats what I needed to know I have all my CCs sock drawered unless an emergency trying to work down the balances of those with balances ---

Added up all balances and whats owed I am at about 26 percent UTIL I would love to get that down to 10-15 and soon work towards maintaining the best 1-9

That is a handful of cards, but not necessarily too many.     I would consider getting rid of store cards if you never use them.    I would consider cancelling any major card whose had fees were not worth the benefits.

Message 6 of 12
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

if you read in this forum and others, you will noticed that ppl who have a high CL (over $5k) are generally ppl who have a clean CR, AAoA of over 4yrs, Fico score above 700s to name a few. Of course there are very few others who are able to obtain that CL without meeting the 3 guidelines described. Just be patience, use your card and manage your debt wisely, your score will eventually get above 700 and than apply for a prime card (chase, amex, citi, capital venture to name a few) and you will get a nice CL. Patience....

Message 7 of 12
JonStur
Established Contributor

Also do some homework before applying for prime cards. What kind of score, which CRA it pulls, whether you have too many recent INQs for them, etc. A little research can greatly improve your chances.

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 8 of 12
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

Having too many trade lines (whether open or closed) is a Fico negative reason, though I don't know how much impact it has since I have a 791 on TU and this is my only negative:

You have too many credit accounts.
Your FICO score takes into account the number of accounts (such as credit cards or installment loans) on your credit report. You have a large number of accounts. In general, people who have a large number of accounts pose more of a risk to lenders than people with a moderate number of accounts.

Number of your credit accounts currently paid as agreed 16 accounts
FICO High Achievers have an average of 6 accounts currently paid as agreed.

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds good guess I'm going to stay focused and keep doing what I am doing no more credit applying for me...and going to focus on lower over all total UTIL..I am sure this will be a great help....my BK will fall off soon and my trade lines will continue to age ...things can only get better with patience Smiley Happy

By the way I pulled my score yesterday 671-equifax (not too bad at all)

I have majors Capital One Chase & Citi I'm sure one of them will see my growth and extend the credit when it's due..until then I'm FOCUSED!

Thanks for all input
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.