cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit impact for having less credit cards?

tag
slvrhwk
Regular Contributor

Credit impact for having less credit cards?

Hi guys,

My strategy has always been to have 1 card of each network (Visa, MC, etc), just so that if I every go to a merchant who only accepts only 1 type of card, I have it in my pocket. I still believe in that strategy. I don't like to collect credit cards. This is my current profile:

Visa - CapOne QS (PC'd from CapOne Visa Platinum). My oldest card. 1.5% cash back on everything. I won't be using this much unless I'm traveling (0% FTF) and the merchant doesn't accept MC. $4250 CL.

MC - Barclays Arrival+. Love this card. Use it for most, if not all, of my transactions. $2500 CL.

Amex - BCP. Recently applied and got approved. Still waiting to receive it. Always wanted an Amex, finally got one -> Happy. $4300 CL.

I may apply for Discover at some point. My credit lines are not gonna get boosts very often. Periodically, maybe once every 6 months or so. Do you think this strategy works in improving credit and credit scores? I see most people here have multiple cards, a lot of you are in double digits. Does it really matter how many credit cards you have?

Current Score TU: 787, EX: N/A, EQ: N/A
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
heyarrnold
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit impact for having less credit cards?

Not really. I only have 6 cards and my scores are in the high 700's or low 800's. I am not one to collect cards or sock drawer cards. Once they no longer serve me a purpose, I close them. 

Message 2 of 20
slvrhwk
Regular Contributor

@heyarrnold wrote:

Not really. I only have 6 cards and my scores are in the high 700's or low 800's. I am not one to collect cards or sock drawer cards. Once they no longer serve me a purpose, I close them. 

That's another thing that I had on my mind. BCP and Arrival+ will become my go to cards. I won't be using the QS much. But it is my oldest card. If I find a better Visa card (there are plenty of them), I might wanna just close this and get that instead. But it would affect my AAoA. It's something I haven't been able to figure out.

Message 3 of 20
heyarrnold
Valued Contributor

@slvrhwk wrote:

@heyarrnold wrote:

That's another thing that I had on my mind. BCP and Arrival+ will become my go to cards. I won't be using the QS much. But it is my oldest card. If I find a better Visa card (there are plenty of them), I might wanna just close this and get that instead. But it would affect my AAoA. It's something I haven't been able to figure out.

Well, I woudln't close your oldest card. It doens't have an annual fee. That I would keep. But if closed, it would remain on your report for 10 years. 

Message 4 of 20
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

In my opinion it doesn't matter. What matters is how responsibly you use your cards. According to your score you should be good to go for the Discover IT any time you feel you need it.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

MY girlfriend has Fico scores all over 760 with nothing but one lonely credit card .
Message 6 of 20
slvrhwk
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
MY girlfriend has Fico scores all over 760 with nothing but one lonely credit card .

That's very encouraging to hear. Thank you!

Message 7 of 20
HiLine
Blogger

It does matter up to a certain point. I think 3 open is the magic number. Any more than this won't do you any good.

Message 8 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@HiLine wrote:

It does matter up to a certain point. I think 3 open is the magic number. Any more than this won't do you any good.

Yeah, but having only 3 cards is boring.

I knew what it was like for several years.

Message 9 of 20
HiLine
Blogger

@Anonymous wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

Yeah, but having only 3 cards is boring.

I knew what it was like for several years.

Really? That's my dream. Smiley Happy

OK, maybe 5 cards ...

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.