Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit increases with Cap1?

tag
Suthrncomfrt1884
Valued Member

Credit increases with Cap1?

Are they possible prior to activating? I received a new card but the limit is insulting. I've tried calling a few numbers and keep getting the run around. Has anyone had luck increasing limits on a new card?

Also, they're telling me they can't transfer my open credit line from another card to increase this one. Is this true? I've done this in the past with other companies.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Credit increases with Cap1?

@Suthrncomfrt1884 wrote:
Are they possible prior to activating? I received a new card but the limit is insulting. I've tried calling a few numbers and keep getting the run around. Has anyone had luck increasing limits on a new card?

Also, they're telling me they can't transfer my open credit line from another card to increase this one. Is this true? I've done this in the past with other companies.

I have not seen any posts on people getting a CLI upon activation from Cap-1 I doubt you will be successful especially if you are in credit steps and yes they do not combine or transfer limits anymore.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

As stated if you were automatically enrolled in credit steps you can request an increase but its doubtful and they will put another HP on your report(s). If you can call and try to negotiate a possible increase with only a soft pull then that might be worth a shot. Smiley Happy Good luck

Had to add something. I inquired about an increase after activating the card, maybe three days later. Not sure if the rule is the same for a card that hasnt been activated yet but the representative told me that individuals in the credit steps program aren't eligible for a CLI without a HP until after the 5th statement. Now whether or not he knew what he was talking about is debatable. Sometimes different reps give different answers to the same question. But it wasnt worth another HP to me.

Message 3 of 5
Suthrncomfrt1884
Valued Member

Does capital one start every card on credit steps? Seems odd to me since I've had a card with them for years and PIF nearly every month.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I dont believe so, it probably depends on each persons credit situation at the time. Do you have lates, derogs, charge offs, short credit history, or any negative information on your reports affecting your credit scores? Also you may want to read through this thread. Seems the CLI happens only once and wont be done automatically after that without an inquiry, and they seem to be a bit stingy with CLI's when requested. Honestly this is simply a card to help me build a positive history with. I'm not counting on it to be anything more than what it is so I can deal with the insulting limit for now. Smiley LOL I'll use it once a month, PIF then cancel or PC if possible in a year or so. Not sure how accurate this thread is since it was 2 years ago but it could have some helpful information.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Capital-One-Credit-Steps-Program/td-p/1626932/page/3

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.