Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit limit affecting score..?

tag
mrmagic9799
Regular Contributor

Credit limit affecting score..?

Mid, last year I aped for a BBRZMC, was declined. Had my wife to app, she was approved. Only $100.00 limit but I figured what the heck. So I added myself as an AU on the acct. On free credit report, listed under negative it says that one or more of my cards have a low limit and that's hurting my score.

Should I remove myself as an AU on that acct? Would that increase my score? The balance that's reported every month is zero although I do use it but just PIF by end of month since that's what HSBC reports
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Credit limit affecting score..?

@mrmagic9799 wrote:
Mid, last year I aped for a BBRZMC, was declined. Had my wife to app, she was approved. Only $100.00 limit but I figured what the heck. So I added myself as an AU on the acct. On free credit report, listed under negative it says that one or more of my cards have a low limit and that's hurting my score.

Should I remove myself as an AU on that acct? Would that increase my score? The balance that's reported every month is zero although I do use it but just PIF by end of month since that's what HSBC reports

This probably isn't helping you in any case because in order for an AU to get help from another account several things need to be in place:

The account needs to be older than any of yours,

The payment history needs to be long and clean,

The utilization needs to be very low, and

Will report to the CRA's? Not all cards will do this.

It sounds like this account is too new to really be of any help.

As far as the "advice" from FCR just ignore it. FICO scoring does not look at credit limits.One of the bad things about places like FCR is the advice and suggestions given are often completely opposite of what actually needs to be done to help a score.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 2 of 3
mrmagic9799
Regular Contributor

Re: Credit limit affecting score..?

I sorta figured their "advice" was off because it says I have too many installment loans which I only have my 1 car note, and 2 student loans and together they total less that $10k
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.