cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit limit increased by Cap One without my asking -- how will this affect my FICO?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit limit increased by Cap One without my asking -- how will this affect my FICO?

I was pleasantly surprised to find that Cap One just increased my credit limit from $1250 to $3250. My balance is still sitting under 30% of the total limit.

Will this limit increase do much to raise my FICO?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit limit increased by Cap One without my asking -- how will this affect my FICO?

Hi cal3201! Welcome aboard! Smiley Happy

cal3201 wrote:

I was pleasantly surprised to find that Cap One just increased my credit limit from $1250 to $3250. My balance is still sitting under 30% of the total limit.

Congrats on the CLI! To answer your question, what was the utilization on your card before the CLI? It's 30% now (or was that before)? What is your overall utilization (sum of revolving debt divided by the sum of all credit limits) before the CLI? What is it now?

Nobody can give you a concrete answer, but we can probably give you some good guesstimates if you can provide some additional info. And if you haven't done so already, Tuscani's Credit Scoring 101 (see my sigline below) is a must read!

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit limit increased by Cap One without my asking -- how will this affect my FICO?

LilMirth - thanks for responding. If I divide how much I owe in CC debt by my total combined CC limits, I get 0.1756...

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got an increase from CO this year too. I never use the card either, I was at $1,100 for years. They increased it to $5,100 this year. I only use the card one every year or so just to keep it going and then pay off the balance. I never asked for the increase, the only activity with the card was I had to call to get my last name changed after getting married. I don't know if that prompted them to look at my account or what, but last activity on the account was like November '08. I just used it in November '09 to keep the account going. The only reason I keep this card is because it's my oldest card.
Message 4 of 7
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

LilMirth - thanks for responding. If I divide how much I owe in CC debt by my total combined CC limits, I get 0.1756...

So that's 18%. Not bad compared to some of the util I've had in the past. Smiley Happy

Keep bringing that number down and it will continue to help you.

From a BK years ago to:
7/09 TU-742 EQ- 779
8/09 TU-765 EQ- 783
9/09 EX pulled by lender 802

You can do the same thing with hard work.

Message 5 of 7
gymbo731
Regular Contributor

Cal - how often do you use your capital one card? The balance that you owe on it, is that a promotional rate?

I also have a cap 1 card, but I never make any purchases with it. I just transfer balances to it. I hope they will raise my credit limit. I am close to maxed out on that card.

Starting Score: 640
Current Score: 744
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 7
Breakthecycle2
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

How long have you had your card for?

Starting Score: 454
Current Score: 690
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.